[AISWorld] Most Influential Information Systems Papers - 'pure science' v...

mmora at securenym.net mmora at securenym.net
Thu Jul 21 06:30:24 EDT 2016

I support the evidences provided by Helen and Murray (fired from Samir's
core post on the sickness not of our discipline but of some biased top
group controlling top journals on irrelevant topics for IT engineering and
management areas). Top journals want just "intellectual pieces of great
600+ toefl style and close the doors for relevant research from
Latinamerican, African, and East Europe countries, but it is useful and
necessary for the socio-technical discipline of IT/MIS with a real
worldwide scope. The Thompson list is also a bias on these publication
system. on Helen's comments, green IT cannot be considered a fashion topic
for intellectual purposes (translated on 1 or 2 special issues on MISQ or
ISR) but in a vast research stream with hundred required papers on the
real problematic of environmental sustainability. On it I collaborates
with a German colleague that has organized during the last 28 years
international conferences on Environmental Management Information Systems,
totally unknown in the top journal contexts, and when we pursue a special
guest edition, we are rejected because we are not in the special club.
I respect totally the intellectual hierarchy of intelligent talents but
the problem here is that top journals are controlled not for the correct
people at present. I have 30 years in the computing arena (more than
academic than researcher) but having 1 paper published in a IEEE
Transaction journal, 1 in a systems engineering management journal, and
several ones in Thompson MIS journals, I have acquired a broad vision of
our field (last normal paper was on Strategic MIS planning: a 40 years
review rejected by 3 top journals by a weak analysis or a weak toefl
language or maybe a bias on racist issues). Well, this the real problem in
our discipline. We need intelligent people NOT biased on top journals.
Manuel Mora

PS. I am co-editing a book on data centers for a top worldwide publisher
(Springer) and the number of chapters posted from this AIS list was zero !
It is absurd when data centers investments are in the range of 10-1000
million of dollars and holds all IT services operations at present. Are we
losing the focus on the real relevant research in our discipline?

Manuel Mora, EngD.
Full Professor and Researcher Level C
ACM Senior Member / SNI Level I
Department of Information Systems