[AISWorld] Memorial Message from SIGGIS on the Passing of Brian Mennecke

Daniel Farkas dfarkas at pace.edu
Thu Jul 21 10:23:32 EDT 2016

To the AIS Community:

Members of the Special Interest Group on Geographic Information Systems
(SIGGIS) of AIS express their sadness and sympathies on the passing of
Professor Brian Mennecke of Iowa State University.

Brian contributed early in his career to the founding of academic research
in spatial analysis and GIS in several of the best journals in our field.
He continued his keen interest in GIS throughout his career including
initiating the earliest mini-tracks on locational analytics in the AMCIS
conferences, recent journal articles on interactive mapping for network
security management and on the spatial aspects of virtual worlds, and much
more.  In the GIS field within MIS, Brian was admired and looked up to as a
world-recognized authority.  He had many other research interests and
well-known scholarly accomplishments, a vast contribution to teaching and
mentoring students, and he provided loads of service to his university and
to our community.  I had the personal privilege of knowing Brian as a
colleague and friend over the last decade and a half, and felt his
generosity of spirit, as did many others.  He will be greatly missed.

Sincerely,

James Pick, Chair of SIGGIS, on behalf of the SIGGIS membership.