[AISWorld] Question: What does intelligence mean in business intelligence?

mmora at securenym.net mmora at securenym.net
Mon Jul 25 07:03:21 EDT 2016

I copy to public list for collecting more responses!

Dear colleague Zhaohao,
Thanks for additional comments. However, I differ on some of them. In BI,
none AI technology was promoted to be used ! (e.g. KBS, neural nets, fuzzy
logic systems, CBR, heuristic methods, or some KR mechanisms). BI was
totally based on dashboards and datawarehouses, so the I in BI is not
supported really by AI advances. Furthermore, AI arena is not aware of BI
topics (by searching them in AI journals).  On the other concept of I as
the seek for understanding the business landscape, we agree on it ! In the
military context, NATO defines it as: " Joint Intelligence, Surveillance
and Reconnaissance (JISR) is vital for all military operations. It
provides information and intelligence to decision-makers and
action-takers, helping them make informed, timely and accurate decisions.
While surveillance and reconnaissance can answer the questions “what,”
“when” and “where”, the combined elements from various intelligence
sources and disciplines provide the answers to “how” and “why”. When all
of this is combined, you create Joint ISR" (NATO website). The following
paper is a good example of using the I in this context! Liao, S. H., Sun,
B. L., & Wang, R. Y. (2003). A knowledge-based architecture for planning
military intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance. Space Policy,
19(3), 191-202. So, the I in BI is totally linked to the I phase of
Simon's decision-making process.
Manuel

Dear Manuel,

Thank you for your answer to the I of BI. "The I in BI concept is related
with the I concept from the Simon's classic decision-making process (I,
desing, choice). It is not originated from the AI field. Other origin is
the I concept in military context (from dr.manuel.mora.uaa at gmail.com to me
on 25 07 16)"

To my knowledge. In Simon's classic decision making process, Intelligence
means that managers examine a situation, then identify and define the
problem. It is the first stage for the decision making. Therefore, I
doubts that Intelligence is motivated by Simon's model.

The earliest known use of the term "Business Intelligence" is in Richard
Millar Devens’ in the ‘Cyclopædia of Commercial and Business Anecdotes’
from 1865 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_intelligence). The
ability to collect and react accordingly based on the information
retrieved was the intelligence in BI at that time, it is still at the very
heart of BI. Intelligence at that time is a kind of wisdom. This is
similar to what One of my friends (Deidré Kleynhans of University of South
Africa) told me that intelligence is to gain information from data
processing for decision making.

The original idea was introduced in 1958 by IBM researcher Hans Peter
Luhn, he employed the Webster's dictionary definition of intelligence:
"the ability to apprehend the interrelationships of presented facts in
such a way as to guide action towards a desired goal." ( H P Luhn (1958).
"A Business Intelligence System". IBM Journal 2 (4): 314.
doi:10.1147/rd.24.0314.). AI was introduced in 1956. Therefore, there is a
certainly relation between AI and I in BI taking into account the relation
between IBM and MIT.

In 1989, Howard Dresner (later a Gartner analyst) proposed "business
intelligence" as an umbrella term to describe "concepts and methods to
improve business decision making by using fact-based support systems."[7]
It was not until the late 1990s that this usage was widespread. At that
time, AI in general, expert systems and decision support systems in
specific had been very widespread. Therefore intelligence of BI has close
relation with intelligence in AI. If intelligence in AI refers to
emulating human intelligence using ICT, then intelligence of BI is to
emulate human intelligence in business using ICT.

Best regards
Sun