[AISWorld] Influential IS Papers Discourse - Part 3 Nominate papers

ilia ilia at ibissoft.se
Fri Aug 5 02:11:04 EDT 2016

My two cents to the discussion on strategy

1. This kind of discussions (e.g. relevance vs. rigor) have been seen in
this list many times in the last 15 years. It does not seem that they
have generated any change. Something else, besides discussions, is, most
probably, needed.

2. Michael Polanyi, in his essay "The republic of science", available at
https://mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/titles/content/9780262690201_sch_0001.pdf,
has shown that integration of different branches  of science happens
through scientists working in the middle, e.g. physical chemistry and
chemical physics. This is how Science achieves full integrity. Using the
same idea, most probably, the only efficient way of integrating research
and practice in a discipline like IS might be through people working in
the middle, i.e. both in research and practice.

3. The gap, which seems to exist between research and practice in IS,
thus could be explained by the layer of people working in the middle
being too thin to create a solid bridge. We have a kind of no-man's land
with occasional intruders from both sides. An obvious solution
(strategy) here is to make this layer thicker.

4. I doubt that practitioners have much of motivation to partly move to
IS research. It does not seem there is a place for them. Either such a
motivation is created, or more researchers need to start practicing in a
serious way - putting their "skin in the game".

5. A good news for researchers is that they do not need to leave their
universities to make such a move :-). A university, IMHO, is a modern
organization with a lot of IT and organizational problems of the same
kind as any other large organization. There is plenty of areas to apply
or create new theories there. I have joined the academic world several
years ago, but I still find it fascinating to observe its functioning.
IMHO, there is plenty to do in practicing theories, including the ones
that remains on the periphery of the main stream, like VSM (Viable
System Model).

Hope this is a good suggestions for a strategy.

Cheers

Ilia

P.S. For those who are interested, this is an example of applying VSM to
a pure academic activity:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/290392463_Towards_Process_Improvement_for_Case_Management_An_Outline_Based_on_Viable_System_Model_and_an_Example_of_Organizing_Scientific_Events