[AISWorld] Influential IS Papers Discourse - Part 3 Nominate papers

Samir Chatterjee profsamir1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 18:42:39 EDT 2016

Dear Prof. Mora,
You raise a very serious allegation against peer review and IS journals. I
have to refute this. You claim that researchers from developing nations and
those who work with data from developing countries have their papers
rejected. As an editor of many ACM, IEEE and AIS journals and conferences,
I can strongly say that is NOT the case. Your paper probably got rejected
because it was a crappy paper.

We have a blind review system precisely for this purpose. The reviewers
don't know who you are and vice versa. If I write a crappy paper, it
doesn't matter whether I am in California or Calcutta, it will be rejected.

Finally, this is not a DSR initiative as you state. We are trying to
understand and measure influence of research, that is looking for research
that matters. It is a wicked problem, as we say in DSR.
Samir

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 2:17 AM, <mmora at securenym.net> wrote:

> Dear Samir,
>
> PS It is not a excuse, but for researchers living in a developing country
> (any from Latin American or Asia or Afica) and doing research in our
> discipline MIS which is totally elitist, to have some international
> activity is practically impossible, even for researchers that gained their
> PhD in top universities in well-developed economies. I have a Mexican
> colleague graduated from CMU that try to publish a paper on strategic
> issues as product of his 1-year research stay in sabbatical year in a top
> USA university and co-authored by a top senior Professor from this
> university (at California state) and the paper was rejected several times!
>  We aspire to have in all 30-year academic life at most 15-25 JCRs. So my
> beliefs on some bias to reject automatically papers in MIS discipline that
> report research results obtained from non well-developed countries. Well,
> I did all my studies in Mexico, and my country is far away of the
> international rankings in high-tech projects. Well, my EngD is from UNAM
> ranked worldwide at #160 in Computer Sciences so I understand my status
> quo in the MIS research discipline. Anyway, I try to do my best effort!
> Cheers from Germany in my last day of research stay!
>
> PS.2 If you return to India, and try to get published in top journals,
> maybe you will be rejected also ! This is the core point here also
> discussed in this discussion.
>

> --
Dr. Samir Chatterjee
Professor
School of Information Systems & Technology
Claremont Graduate University
130 East 9th Street, Claremont, CA 91711
(P) 909-607-4651; (cell) 909-730-8898
profsamir1 at gmail.com
http://sites.cgu.edu/chatterjees/

Director, *Innovations Design Empowerment Applications Laboratory* (IDEA
Labs) http://www.idea-labs.net/
Associate Editor: Health Systems, IJBDCN
Editorial Board: Journal of AIS
Member: IEEE (senior), ACM (senior), AIS, AMIA
Author: http://designscienceresearch.wordpress.com/about/
2015 Lifetime Achievement Award Winner for Contributions to Design Science
(by AIS DSR community)