[AISWorld] Can you first have influence then write the paper - Well Presi...

mmora at securenym.net mmora at securenym.net
Mon Aug 8 14:33:17 EDT 2016

Colleagues interested in cleaning our current MIS research field:

I agree with these flow of ideas. It is a natural decision-making bias to
select high-quality papers from well-known authors than high-quality
papers from unknown people. It reinforces the status quo of the journal
and of the publishing system. On having a fair process, senior people here
in this AIS list, know that it is not the reality. Best argument: none
scientific instrument for measuring the quality of a paper is utilized
usually for journals. We asked valid and reliable instruments for any
construct in any research paper, but for reviewing papers there is a lot
of discretionary effect. EiC and AE identify it when a paper receives
simultaneously a favor and against to reviews from senior reviewers. Of
course, we will not change this situation but these emails can be useful
to create and initial awareness on this critical problem in MIS research
and for let it knowing to young researchers and new PhD graduate some
concerns of our discipline, besides the relevance problem! Manuel

PS Research on decision-making processes has a vast number of JCRs papers
on biases problems, so it is a natural situation lived everyday!

Manuel Mora, EngD.
Full Professor and Researcher Level C
ACM Senior Member / SNI Level I
Department of Information Systems