[AISWorld] Alan Turing Institute Research Fellowships - Deadline 20th December 2016

Joao Porto de Albuquerque jporto at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 10:19:32 EST 2016

Dear all,

Please forward to potentially interested candidates the opportunity of
postdoctoral fellowships at the Alan Turing Institute in connection to
partner universities (including Warwick). I'm interested in mentoring
fellows in the area of smart cities / urban data science and spatial
analytics - please contact me if interested.

Best regards

João
—
Dr João Porto de Albuquerque
Associate Professor | Director of the MsC Urban Informatics and Analytics
Centre for Interdisciplinary Methodologies | University of Warwick
Member of the Warwick Institute for the Science of Cities
Coventry, UK CV4 7AL | T: +44 (0)24 765 72516 | e-mail:
j.porto at warwick.ac.uk
Honorary Associate Professor | Dept. of Computer Systems | University of
São Paulo, Brazil
Visiting Professor | Chair of GIScience | Institute of Geography |
Heidelberg University, Germany
--
Web: http://warwick.ac.uk/jpdealbuquerque | Twitter: @SmartUrbanInfo
<https://twitter.com/SmartUrbanInfo>

Applications now open for our graduate programs:
MSc Big Data and Digital Futures
<http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/cross_fac/cim/study/msc-big-data-digital-futures>
MA Digital Media and Culture
<http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/cross_fac/cim/study/ma-digital-media-culture/>
MSc Urban Informatics and Analytics
<http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/cross_fac/cim/study/msc-urban-informatics-analytics/>
PhD Interdisciplinary Studies
<http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/cross_fac/cim/study/phd-in-interdisciplinary-studies/>

*Alan Turing Institute Research Fellowships -* *Deadline 20th December 2016*

We invite applications from talented postdoctoral researchers for an Alan
Turing Research Fellowship Award in the area of data science.

Researchers will be working on data science broadly interpreted. These
prestigious fellowships provide initial funding for three years with the
opportunity to apply for an extension of up to two additional years.

Five or more positions are available.

The Alan Turing Institute

The Alan Turing Institute (the Turing) is the national centre for data
science, created in 2015 with the mission to make great leaps in data
science research to change the world for the better.

The Institute has cross-disciplinarity at its core; we bring researchers in
mathematics and theoretical computer science, statistics and machine
learning, algorithm for data analytics and distributed computing,
computational social science and data ethics, and industry partners, to
work together in an open and collaborative environment under a shared goal
to generate world-class research in data science.

Our researchers are motivated by driving impact, both through theoretical
development and application to real-world problems. In our first year we
have identified six priority sectors to focus our translational research:

Data Centric Engineering, Defence and Security, Smart Cities, Culture &
Media, Financial Services, and Health & Wellbeing, and have attracted major
funders including Intel, Lloyd’s Register Foundation, GCHQ and HSBC to work
with us as strategic partners to advance research in these areas.

More than 90 Faculty Fellows from our five founding partner universities
(Cambridge, Edinburgh, Oxford, UCL and Warwick) are currently based
part-time at the Turing in London, along with a growing number of full-time
Research Fellows and research students. For a list of all Faculty and
Research Fellows and their research interests, please see our webpage
www.turing.ac.uk/people.

We invite you to join us as we grow our research community, supporting our
goal to develop the next generation of data science leaders, shape the
public conversation, and push the boundaries of this new science for the
public good.

This call

Through this targeted call we are seeking outstanding early career
researchers to join us at the Turing.

Fellowships will be awarded to individual candidates who will hold the
award at one of our partner universities (Cambridge, Edinburgh, Oxford, UCL
and Warwick), where the candidate will be employed, but spend most of their
time at the Turing Headquarters in the British Library, London.

The fellowships offer successful candidates the unique opportunity to work
with faculty from all five partner universities, as well as researchers
within the host university and collaborators from across the international
data science community.

Through this call we intend to strengthen our capacity for translational
research in the challenge areas outlined in our Shaping our Strategy

document:

     Data Centric Engineering

     Defence & Security

     Culture & Media

     Smart Cities

     Financial Services

     Health & Wellbeing

Within financial services we are particularly interested in online
transactions, automated auctions, blockchain & distributed ledgers.

In addition, we are also offering Fellowships to candidates with cross
cutting skills and research interests including privacy, social sciences,
systems & platforms, and statistics.

More details and how to apply:

https://www.turing.ac.uk/jobs/fellowships/