[AISWorld] Contents of Volume 17, Issue 11 (November) Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS)

JAIS JAIS at comm.virginia.edu
Thu Dec 1 13:55:57 EST 2016

Contents of Volume 17, Issue 11 (November) Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS), Official Publication of the

Association for Information Systems
Published: Monthly Electronically
ISSN: 1536-9323
Published by the Association for Information Systems, Atlanta, USA (http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/)

Editor-in-Chief:  Professor Suprateek Sarker, University of Virginia, USA

Paper
Culture, Conformity, and Emotional Suppression in Online Reviews

Yili Hong, Arizona State University
Ni Huang, Temple University
Gordon Burtch, University of Minnesota
Chunxiao Li, Arizona State University

Abstract
In this study, we examine consumers' cultural background as an antecedent of online review characteristics. We theoretically propose and empirically examine the effect of cultural background (specifically individualism (versus collectivism)) on consumers' tendency to conform to prior opinion and review texts' emotionality. We also examine how conformity and emotionality relate to review helpfulness. We test our hypotheses using a unique dataset that combines online restaurant reviews from TripAdvisor with measures of individualism/collectivism values. We found that consumers from a collectivist culture were less likely to deviate from the average prior rating and to express emotion in their reviews. Moreover, individuals perceived those reviews that exhibited high conformity and intense emotions to be less helpful. We also present several important implications for managing online review platforms in light of these findings, which reflect the previously unidentified drivers of systematic differences in the characteristics of online reviews.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol17/iss11/2/

Paper
Overconfidence in Phishing Email Detection

Jingguo Wang, University of Texas at Arlington
Yuan Li, Columbia College
H. Raghav Rao, University of Texas at San Antonio

Abstract
This study examines overconfidence in phishing email detection. Researchers believe that overconfidence (i.e., where one's judgmental confidence exceeds one's actual performance in decision making) can lead to one's adopting risky behavior in uncertain situations. This study focuses on what leads to overconfidence in phishing detection. We performed a survey experiment with 600 subjects to collect empirical data for the study. In the experiment, each subject judged a set of randomly selected phishing emails and authentic business emails. Specifically, we examined two metrics of overconfidence (i.e., overprecision and overestimation). Results show that cognitive effort decreased overconfidence, while variability in attention allocation, dispositional optimism, and familiarity with the business entities in the emails all increased overconfidence in phishing email detection. The effect of perceived self-efficacy of detecting phishing emails on overconfidence was marginal. In addition, all confidence beliefs poorly predicted detection accuracy and poorly explained its variance, which highlights the issue of relying on them to guide one's behavior in detecting phishing. We discuss mechanisms to reduce overconfidence.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol17/iss11/1/

Elizabeth White Baker, PhD
Production Managing Editor, Journal of the AIS
jais at comm.virginia.edu