[AISWorld] CFP: Cross-LAK 2017: 2nd International Workshop on Learning Analytics Across Spaces at LAK’ 17

Roberto Martinez roberto.martinez-maldonado at uts.edu.au
Mon Dec 5 06:43:10 EST 2016

======= Please distribute =======

Cross-LAK 2017: 2nd International Workshop on Learning Analytics Across
Spaces

*Call for Papers*

http://crosslak.utscic.edu.au/

#crosslak17 <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23crosslak17&src=typd>

In conjunction with LAK 2017 at Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada
| March 13-17, 2017 http://lak17.solaresearch.org/
<http://lak16.solaresearch.org/>

*Important Dates*

--------------------------------------

Submission Deadline: Jan. 10, 2017

Notification to Authors: Feb 10, 2017

Camera-Ready Papers: March 1, 2017

Workshop: April 13 or 14, 2017

*Workshop Theme*

--------------------------------------

Student’s learning happens where the learner is rather than being
constrained to a single physical or digital environment. Educational
research has revealed the pedagogical benefits of letting students
experience different types of content, "real world" challenges, and
physical and social interactions with educators or other learners. Students
commonly work outside the boundaries of the institutional learning
system(s). They may interact face-to-face, use other educational tools or
even use tools that were not specifically designed to serve in learning
contexts. Teachers may want students to use not only the tools offered by
the institution, but also other tools that are more suitable to the context
and subject matter.

Pervasive and mobile technologies can be used to allow learners to get
remote access to educational resources from different physical spaces (e.g.
ubiquitous/mobile learning support) or to enrich their learning experiences
in the classroom in ways that were not previously possible (e.g.
face-to-face/blended learning support). This is creating new possibilities
for learning analytics to provide continued support or a more holistic view
about learning, moving beyond desktop-based learning resources. An
overarching concern is how to integrate analytics across these different
spaces and tools in a coordinated way. In short, there is an increasing
interest in providing support for students’ learning across physical and
digital spaces, and the means to achieve this are more readily available.

This year, the theme of the workshop is “Personalised Support Across
Physical and Digital Spaces in Real World Learning Contexts“. It wishes to
highlight the need for devising learning analytics innovations that can
provide timely feedback and support to learners in real-world contexts
considering the ecologies of devices and learning (and non-learning) tools
that are effectively usable in everyday learning and teaching situations.
The above theme aims to encourage workshop participants to think about this
educational need in our increasingly complex everyday world and to consider
both the growing interest in real-world learning analytics and also the
strong tradition of research in other communities that have used approaches
such as learner modelling, personalisation, adaptation and open learner
models (OLM's) to support learning beyond  single learning tools or
Learning Management Systems.

We invite invite contributions to the Workshop on Learning Analytics Across
Physical and Digital Spaces Research. Contributions should relate to the
design and study of learning analytics innovations and solutions, including
but not limited to any of the following themes:

    >>>Support Across Multiple Digital Spaces: Studies of novel analytics
approaches and systems that span across multiple digital learning tools
(including mining, modelling or visualising datasets that integrate logs
from multiple learning tools);

    >>>Bridging the Physical and Digital Realms: Design and study of
learning situations that include collocated settings and/or the use of
online (remote access) tools  (e.g. including ‘everyday’ settings,
collocated collaboration situations, multi-device ecologies or blended
learning cases);

    >>>Data Integration of Heterogeneous
<https://sites.google.com/site/crosslak2016/theme-4> Learning Data Sources:
Discussion of methodologies and theoretical approaches, and their technical
solutions, to integrate learning activity logs from multiple sources of
learner’s data (including technical but also non-technical issues such as
ethics, orchestration or data management).

*Submissions*

--------------------------------------

We welcome papers under two categories:

    >>>Short papers (5 pages). Short papers consist of authors describing
their research in the area of learning analytics across physical and
digital spaces, aligned to at least one of the four themes of the workshop.
Authors of successful submissions will give a brief firehose presentation
and present a poster at the poster session during the workshop.

    >>>Position papers (2-5 pages). Position papers explain a unique
perspective on the field that the author would like to contribute, aligned
to one or all the themes of the workshop. Authors of successful submissions
will participate in one of panel to be held during the workshop.

Participation Requirements: All workshop participants are encouraged to
submit at least one paper under any of these two categories. There is no
restriction on the number of papers submitted by the same author. The
submission of a paper is not compulsory.

Formatting: Contributions must be submitted through the EasyChair
submission system. Please use the formatting instructions and the template
provided in the workshop website.

*Expected outcomes*

--------------------------------------

The expected outcomes of the workshop are the following:

    >>>Consolidating the Cross-LAK Community. This workshop will build on
the design space and guidelines formulated in the first edition of
Cross-LAK [8] in order to consolidate the synergy between researchers and
propose further steps as a community.

    >>>Provide a forum to ignite collaboration. The workshop will bring
together the sub-communities within the learning sciences, educational
technology, and LAK with the goal of contributing with their expertise in
identifying the major issues to be tackled in the area, generating new
ideas for future research and sparking on each other in ways that can lead
to future collaboration within the LAK community.

    >>>Work towards a special issue on Cross-LAK themes. Proceedings of
research papers which will be produced and selected papers will be invited
to be submitted in full to a special issue (SI) on Cross-LAK in an indexed
journal so other members of the LAK community can benefit and further
contribute to the design space.

*Organising Committee*

--------------------------------------

Roberto Martinez-Maldonado (University of Technology Sydney, Australia)

Davinia Hernandez-Leo (Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain)

Abelardo Pardo (The University of Sydney, Australia)

Hiroaki Ogata (Kyushu University, Japan)

If you have any further questions, we encourage you to contact the
organisers at <roberto.martinez-maldonado [at] uts.edu.au,
davinia.hernandez [at] upf.edu>.

http://crosslak.utscic.edu.au/

UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F
DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or
attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the
sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology Sydney.
Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

Think. Green. Do.