[AISWorld] ECSCW 2017 Call for Exploratory Papers

Gabriela Avram gabriela.avram at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 06:28:30 EST 2016

Apologies for cross-posting!

CSCW focuses on enhancing our understanding of the practices of cooperative
work and on exploring and designing CSCW systems. The ECSCW conference is
an important venue for defining and further developing the agenda for CSCW
research. The conference has a longstanding interest in empirical,
conceptual and theoretical contributions and has a tradition of
inclusiveness. ECSCW addresses themes which include but are not limited to:

   - Conceptualising practice in work and other activities, and the
   relationship between understanding practice and the design of computer
   artifacts: how can we understand work (the “W”)?
   - Cooperation and its characteristics (e.g., describing the particulars
   of articulation work and coordination mechanisms in a given setting): how
   can we understand cooperative work (the “CW”)?
   - Methods for investigating human practices: the nature of ethnography
   and the role of other innovative methods in CSCW.
   - Digital and other material artefacts in cooperative settings: how can
   we support cooperative work in increasingly complex, networked settings
   (the “CS”)?

The ECSCW conferences are single-track conferences that contribute to
developing an interdisciplinary ECSCW community. The conference format
facilitates critical discussion across disciplinary and national borders in
the field. An overview of earlier ECSCW conferences (and proceedings) is
available from  http://www.ecscw.org/ <http://www.ecscw.org/>

Submission is now open for *Exploratory Papers.*

   - The goal of this new type of submission is to attract smaller, focused
   studies, works-in-progress, critical literature reviews, early results,
   and/or provocative ideas that are not yet ready for a journal submission,
   but could benefit from presentation and discussion within the ECSCW
   community. While the length of exploratory papers is flexible, we expect
   that papers will be no longer than 6,000 words (without references). With
   exploratory papers, we aim at having lively sessions that will contribute
   to shaping the future of practice-focused CSCW research. Exploratory paper
   submissions will be reviewed by the ECSCW PC in one round of evaluation
   (accepted or rejected). Accepted exploratory papers will be published in
   the ECSCW/EUSSET Digital Library as an edited collection with ISBN and DOIs
   (more information soon). Please follow the exploratory papers template. The
   template can be downloaded as RTF
   <https://www.dropbox.com/s/watyt6fit26hwtu/ECSCW%202017%20exploratory%20papers%20instructions.rtf?dl=0>
    or MSWord
   <https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2391028w7zz0tz/ECSCW%202017_EP%20template.doc?dl=0>
   .

We adopt a single-blind review policy, therefore exploratory papers should
not be anonymised.

Authors of exploratory papers will retain the copyright and will then be
able to reuse their work in teaching, future publications, and other
scholarly and professional activities, and to deposit their work in a
university repository.

Exploratory Papers can be submitted via EasyChair at this link:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ecscw2017
<https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ecscw2017>

*Important dates*:

   - Friday 27th January 2017: Submission deadline (5:00pm PDT)
   - Wednesday 29th March 2017: Notifications due to authors. Exploratory
   papers are either accepted or rejected. Small additional edits may be
   requested for accepted exploratory papers before publication
   - Friday 21st April 2017: Camera ready to be submitted for publication
   in the ECSCW/EUSSET digital library

*August 28 – September 01 2017:* Conference in Sheffield

We are looking forward to receiving your submissions!

On behalf of ECSCW 2017,

Myriam Lewkowicz and Aleksandra Sarcevic, Exploratory Papers Co­-Chairs

Luigina Ciolfi and David Randall, Conference Co-­Chairs

Gabriela Avram, Social Media and Publicity Chair