[AISWorld] An inquiry on MSIS-2016 vs MSIS-2006 on ERPs topics

Heikki Topi hetopi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 05:42:26 EST 2016

Dear colleagues on the AISWorld list:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Prof. Mora for his
insightful question regarding the MSIS 2016 Global Competency Model and
address it briefly below on behalf of the MSIS 2016 task force.

Also, I would like to invite all of you who will be in Dublin to discuss
this and other questions you might have at the *AIS SIG-ED session on MSIS
2016 on Sunday, Dec 11, 2016 1pm - 3pm at the Gresham Hotel (Trinity 1 &
2). *Hope to see you there!

As for the question regarding the role of enterprise systems in MSIS 2016:
the main reason why various categories of enterprise systems do not appear
directly at the top levels of the competency model is the same why some
other quite familiar titles or topics are not included as a competency area
or competency category name: MSIS 2016 strives to identify high-level
competencies that are described in language that does not tie the
competency requirements to a specific technology solution. This does not,
however, mean that programs built based on MSIS 2016 shouldn't include an
enterprise systems course or coverage in multiple courses -- on the
contrary, contemporary content built around large-scale enterprise systems
(including ERP/CRM/SCM, etc.). could be an excellent mechanism for enabling
students to attain the competencies specified in the model.

Just as an example, at least the following MSIS 2016 competency categories
are directly associated with large-scale enterprise systems as a possible
approach and system solution for implementing desired organizational
capabilities (the abbreviation after the competency name refers to the area
of competencies):

1. Managing and implementing cybersecurity (BCIA)
5. Managing IS risks (BCIA)
22, Integrating and preparing data captured from various sources for
analytical use (DATA)
29. Using an enterprise architecture to influence IS-related organizational
improvement projects (EARC)
36. Ensuring that protection of privacy and integrity guides all IS
practices (ETIS)
38. Considering ethical implications of IS decisions (ETIS)
47. Identifying opportunities for and designing process improvement (IOCE)
52. Managing IS sourcing models (ISMO)
58. Managing software and hardware development and maintenance (ISMO)
61. Managing IS sourcing strategies (ISSG)
78. Identifying and selecting systems design and implementation
alternatives (SDAD)
85. Installing and integrating applications (SDAD)
86. Acquiring IS applications from the market (SDAD)
88. Deploying a new system to organizational use (SDAD)

Therefore, an enterprise systems course (or, more specifically, an ERP
course) and its course level objectives can offer an excellent set of
learning experience, allowing students to attain many of the program level
competency requirements and being fully aligned with the MSIS 2016 model.

We would be happy to discuss this and other related questions at a more
detailed level in person. The latest version of MSIS 2016 is available at
www.msis2016.org. Also, please come to join the conversation at the Sunday
session!

Many thanks again for Prof. Mora for this question!

With best regards,

Heikki Topi
Co-chair of the MSIS 2016 task force
Bentley University