[AISWorld] Announcing Volume 8, Issue 4 of AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction

Galletta, Dennis galletta at katz.pitt.edu
Fri Dec 30 11:18:39 EST 2016

Dear AIS Community:

In the midst of the holidays, we are celebrating the completion of the 8th volume of AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction (THCI). This issue, we have three fine papers to ring out the old and ring in the new year. The first is a regular submission and the last two represent the first of several forthcoming papers in our special issue on Human Resource Information Systems and Human-Computer Interaction.

THCI is one of the journals in the AIS (Association for Information Systems) e-library at http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci. To increase awareness and readership, THCI is still freely available to everyone during its initial years of publishing. You can find information related to all aspects of THCI at its website (http://aisel.aisnet.org/), including how to submit. We would like to thank AIS <http://home.aisnet.org/> Council for its continued support of the journal. And, as always, we are happy to announce that we have published the journal on time for all 32 issues.

============

  In this issue

============

Can we Take User Responses at Face Value? Exploring Users' "Self-stated" and "Derived" Importance of Utilitarian versus Hedonic Software Features (http://aisel.aisnet.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1087&context=thci)

by

Adarsh Kumar Kakar

Abstract: Empirical studies in the product development literature have shown that the users' self-reported importance of product attributes differs from the derived importance of product attributes obtained through the attributes' correlation with an external criterion such as user satisfaction. However, no study has examined this phenomenon in the context of software products. This investigation is important because the present-day software requirement-prioritization techniques are based on capturing users' self-reported importance of new software product features. As such, I develop a method in the study to capture the derived user importance of new features. The findings show that the implicitly derived importance of software attributes differs from the importance rankings assigned to them using requirement prioritization techniques. Further, I found that the implicitly derived user importance to identify the determinants of user satisfaction more accurately than the prioritization techniques based on self-stated user importance. I discuss the implications of this promising new approach for practice and future research in requirements prioritization.

Special Section: The first two papers from the Special Issue on Human Resource Information Systems and Human Computer Interaction

Introduction to the special issue (http://aisel.aisnet.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1088&context=thci)

By

Richard Johnson, Kimberly M. Lukaszewski, and Dianna L. Stone

In this special issue, we focus on the role that human-computer interaction (HCI) can play in the development and successful use of human resource information systems (HRIS) in organizations. There is no doubt that information systems have transformed the practice of human resources. From online/e-recruiting to e-learning and the growing interest in data analytics, the practice of human resources has become technology centric. Given the overlap of human resource practice and information systems, both fields need to work together to develop models and theories that advance the practice of HRIS in organizations. Therefore, this special issue a) briefly reviews the history of the HRIS field, b) advances theory and research that stands at the intersection of HRIS and HCI, and c) suggest new directions for research at the intersection of HRIS and HCI.

Job Applicants' Information Privacy Protection Responses: Using Social Media for Candidate Screening (http://aisel.aisnet.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1089&context=thci)

By

John R. Drake, Dianne Hall, J. Bret Becton, and Clay Posey

Abstract: For human resource (HR) departments, screening job applicants is an integral role in acquiring talent. Many HR departments have begun to turn to social networks to better understand job candidates' character. Using social networks as a screening tool might provide insights not readily available from resumes or initial interviews. However, requiring access to an applicants' social networks and the private activities occurring therein-a practice currently legal in 29 U.S. states (Deschenaux, 2015)-could induce strong moral reactions from the job candidates because of a perceived loss of information privacy. Subsequently, such disclosure requests could induce job candidates to respond in a multitude of ways to protect their privacy. Given that an estimated 2.55 billion individuals will use social media worldwide by 2017 (eMarketer, 2013), the repercussions from requests for access social media environments have potentially far-reaching effects. In this research, we examine how one such disclosure request impacted six information privacy protective responses (IPPRs) (Son & Kim, 2008) based on the job candidates' perceived moral judgment and the perceived moral intensity of the HR disclosure request. These responses occurred when we asked respondents to provide personal login information during a hypothetical interview. By modeling data derived from a sample of 250 participants in PLS-SEM, we found that the five IPPRs (i.e., refusal, negative word of mouth, complaining to friends, complaining to the company, and complaining to third parties) were all significant responses when one judged the request to be immoral and perceived the moral intensity concept of immediate harm. The amount of variance explained by these five IPPRs ranged from 17.7 percent to 38.7 percent, which indicates a solid initial foundation from which future research can expand on this HR issue. Implications for academia and practice are discussed.

How Social Media Can Enhance Access to Information through Transactive Memory Development (http://aisel.aisnet.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1090&context=thci)

By

Hossam Ali-Hassan and Dorit Nevo

Abstract: A key challenge for managing talent in organizations is locating and coordinating expertise. In this study, we propose that employees who use social media can help an organization locate knowledge workers who are vital to organizational growth and competitiveness. We draws on transactive memory (TM) theory to examine the relationship between social media use and knowledge workers' access to information as mediated by the formation of an organization-wide transactive memory. We conducted the research using a mixed-methods approach that combined insights from a qualitative investigation with a confirmatory large-scale survey in a multinational information technology firm. We empirically show that social media use had a positive but indirect relationship with knowledge workers' access to information via the mediation of the three dimensions of TM. We discuss our findings' implications for theory and practice, including human resource management, and directions for future research.

==================

     Call for Papers

==================

THCI is a high-quality peer-reviewed international scholarly journal on Human-Computer Interaction. As an AIS journal, THCI is oriented to the Information Systems community, emphasizing applications in business, managerial, organizational, and cultural contexts. However, it is open to all related communities that share intellectual interests in HCI phenomena and issues. The editorial objective is to enhance and communicate knowledge about the interplay among humans, information, technologies, and tasks in order to guide the development and use of human-centered Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and services for individuals, groups, organizations, and communities.

Topics of interest to THCI include but are not limited to the following:

*   The behavioral, cognitive, motivational and affective aspects of human and technology interaction

*   User task analysis and modeling; fit between representations and task types

*   Digital documents/genres; human information seeking and web navigation behaviors; human information interaction; information visualization

*   Social media; social computing; virtual communities

*   Behavioral information security and information assurance; privacy and trust in human technology interaction

*   User interface design and evaluation for various applications in business, managerial, organizational, educational, social, cultural, non-work, and other domains

*   Integrated and/or innovative approaches, guidelines, and standards or metrics for human centered analysis, design, construction, evaluation, and use of interactive devices and information systems

*   Information systems usability engineering; universal usability

*   The impact of interfaces/information technology on people's attitude, behavior, performance, perception, and productivity

*   Implications and consequences of technological change on individuals, groups, society, and socio-technical units

*   Software learning and training issues such as perceptual, cognitive, and motivational aspects of learning

*   Gender and information technology

*   The elderly, the young, and special needs populations for new applications, modalities, and multimedia interaction

*   Issues in HCI education

The language for the journal is English. The audience includes international scholars and practitioners who conduct research on issues related to the objectives of the journal. The publication frequency is quarterly: 4 issues per year to be published in March, June, September, and December. The AIS Special Interest Group on Human-Computer Interaction (SIGHCI, http://sigs.aisnet.org/SIGHCI/) is the official sponsor of THCI.

Please visit the links above or the links from our AIS THCI page (http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/) for details on any current or emerging special issue calls that will be announced in the future. Please keep checking our home page to see what is brewing! If you have an idea for a special issue, please drop us a line any time.

Sincerely,

Dennis Galletta and Paul Lowry, co-Editors in Chief

Greg Moody, Managing Editor

DG

Dennis F. Galletta                      Professor of Business Administration
University of Pittsburgh                       Ben L. Fryrear Faculty Fellow
282a Mervis Hall                         and Director, Katz Doctoral Program
Phone +1 412-648-1699                       Katz Graduate School of Business
Fax +1 412-624-3633                                    Pittsburgh, PA  15260
E-mail: galletta @ katz.pitt.edu            homepage: www.pitt.edu/~galletta<http://www.pitt.edu/~galletta>