[AISWorld] Question: do we really want to risk turning AIS into a political lobbying organization?

Mohammed Rahman mrahman at emporia.edu
Sun Jan 29 14:45:07 EST 2017

Dear Leon,

If government policies affect and prevent academics to engage in research and teaching, I believe it is appropriate and should be allowed to use AIS to raise concerns. I agree with your statement, "... we should keep AIS focused on the issues that concern us as academics ...". This on-going issue, although happens to be a government policy, indeed concerns many academics. Within the last year, I have witnessed many discussions in our AIS community about issues, impact, research opportunities, etc. that were evolved and impacted from Brexit and past US election. Similarly, many of our past and ongoing research/teaching activities influenced by political decisions at regional as well as global level. As an AIS member, I would like to see discussions about issues influence academics and other human lives, whether they are political or not so political.

Thanks,

Mohammed Sajedur Rahman, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Information Systems
School of Business, Emporia State University
One Kellogg Circle, Emporia, KS 66801-5415