[AISWorld] Analytics textbooks - Results

Jerry Flatto jflatto at uindy.edu
Mon Feb 13 09:50:29 EST 2017

Hi all.  I recently sent out a request to the list for books related to
Analytics.  In addition to some responses to my request, I also heard from
some folks who asked me to share what I found.

Below is my original request for reference.  Below that are the responses I
received.  A few comments.  A couple of the books are focused on performing
analytics and can be considered more "applied statistics books".  I already
use one of them and like the book but these books do not cover the business
aspects of analytics.  The business-focused books are not textbooks and thus
do not include PowerPoints, text banks, etc.  This is not meant as a
complaint but if you are looking for pre-made support material, the books I
identify below will not meet your needs.

Thanks for all the responses.

Jerry Flatto

"No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a large
number
of electrons were slightly inconvenienced..."

Dr. Jerry Flatto, Professor, Information Systems Department - School of
Business

University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
<mailto:jflatto at uindy.edu> mailto:jflatto at uindy.edu

Confidentiality Notice: This communication and/or its content are for the
sole use of the intended recipient, and may be privileged, confidential, or
otherwise protected from disclosure by law.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender and then delete all copies of it.
Unless you are the intended recipient, your use or dissemination of the
information contained in this communication may be illegal.

My Original Request

I am looking for any recommendations on an analytics / business intelligence
textbook.  I am not looking for a book that teaches how to perform analytics
but rather more of an business overview.

I am aware of the "Business Intelligence: Managerial Approach" (third
edition) and the related "Business Intelligence and Analytics" book.  Any
other textbooks that folks recommend?

I used:  Sherman, Rick. Business Intelligence Guidebook From Data
Integration to Analysis, Morgan Kaufmann, 2015.  ISBN:  978-0-12-411461-6 in
a business intelligence/data warehousing class last year and found it to be
OK.

There's not really a good one that covers all aspects, but the best one I
know, and the one I'm using for my Data Analytics class is Data Science for
Business by Provost and Fawcett.

Having taught Business Intelligence for nine years, I use this text book for
Masters:

Howson, C. (2014). Successful Business Intelligence: Unlock the Value of BI
and Big Data (Vol. Second edition): McGraw-Hill Education.

It has a business perspective, and the author uses one empirical survey
about managing BI throughout the book.

I saw your message on AISWorld list. I have been looking into the same thing
for a while. For the business aspect of analytics, you may like to check
these two options too.

1) Competing on Analytics: the New Science of Winning

Authors: Thomas H. Davenport and Jeanne G. Harris

ISBN-13: 978-1422103326

ISBM-10: 1422103323

Publisher: Harvard Business Review Press (2007)

2) Predictive Analytics: The Power to Predict Who Will Click, Buy, Lie or
Die

Authors: Eric Siegel and Thomas H. Davenport

ISBN-10: 1118356853

ISBN-13: 978-1118356852

Publisher: Wiley (2013)

The following two books are more Applied Statistics.

Data mining for Business Intelligence by Shmueli, Patel and Bruce

It is little bit technical but covers material well  (not managerial)

I use -

Business Analytics: Methods, Models, and Decisions, 2nd Ed.  Authors:  James
R. Evans  Publisher: Pearson  Published: 2016  ISBN: 978-0-321-99782-1