[AISWorld] Sound conference desk rejection policy

Cecil Eng Huang Chua aeh.chua at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Feb 26 14:02:47 EST 2017

What's interesting about this post is that I have received several personal emails rather than posts to ISWorld.  As some people have explicitly asked me not to repost their mails, I won't do so.

The correspondence I have received has been of the following forms:

(1) Interesting question. Complex issue.

(2)​ War stories of how some editor had to ask many people before someone would finally review for them.

(3) Comments about how some people write a lot of papers, but won't review.

(4) I used to oppose desk rejections until the day I became an editor.

(5) The issue of trust- if you appoint editors you need to trust them to desk reject appropriately.

(6) Recommendation that journals adopt fee-based submission policies and actually pay reviewers.

(7) Requests for an update on the conversation.

I do think we should bring the issue out in the open and discuss it.  It affects all of us, and a public discussion would better inform policy.

Cecil Chua