[AISWorld] Sound conference desk rejection policy

John Lamp john.lamp at deakin.edu.au
Sun Feb 26 21:30:56 EST 2017

The issue of reviewing not being valued is a real one. My institution has a finely drawn workload allocation model (I got asked to account for a shortfall of 50 hours over the year!) and reviewing is not counted.

I'm seeking to fill approx 600 reviewing slots per annum as our usual journal workload. This is a significant imposition on the goodwill of colleagues.

But I digress ...

Michael's proposals regarding nurturing vs rigorous is a valuable one. Conferences have a greater value than simple exposure of research proposals or results. The less formal networking potential of conferences is a huge opportunity, particularly for those commencing a research career.

Cheers
John

Undergraduates should learn to use the library;
Masters students should use the library; and
Doctoral students should add new knowledge to the library.