[AISWorld] Sound conference desk rejection policy

Cecil Eng Huang Chua aeh.chua at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Feb 28 14:48:26 EST 2017

Umm... typically we get track chairs who are within the domain of the track.  I, for example, am often involved in project management tracks.  You'd think I'd know something about project management research.

When an empirical paper from a track comes to you that:
-has no methodology section or a very weak methodology section
-does not cite the relevant literature (see above about track chairs knowing the domain)
-makes statements but not arguments (i.e., does not justify its thinking)

I feel asking the authors of that paper to review someone else's paper is a bad idea.  This isn't imperialist.  It is taking prima facie evidence- the authors don't know what they are doing- to make a judgement call.

Conference tracks are open- anyone can submit.  The assumption that authors in a track know the subject area of the track is really dangerous.  I agree with asking authors to review if the paper they submit demonstrates knowledge of the track.

I am not against tapping authors as reviewers.  I am against blindly tapping authors as reviewers.

Cecil Chua