[AISWorld] FW: PostDoc position in the Digital Disruption Research Group - The University of Sydney Business School

Kai Riemer kai.riemer at sydney.edu.au
Thu Mar 2 00:29:19 EST 2017

It looks like the link to the application page did not survive; please use this link: http://bit.ly/2ladhcT

On 2/3/17, 4:14 pm, "AISWorld on behalf of Kai Riemer" <aisworld-bounces at lists.aisnet.org on behalf of kai.riemer at sydney.edu.au> wrote:

    Colleagues,

    Please can you help distribute the following advertisement for a Postdoctoral position in my research group (especially to your PhD graduates)?

    We are currently seeking to appoint a Postgraduate Research Associate in the Business School’s Digital Disruption Research Group (DDRG).

    The DDRG is a research group with academic and practitioner membership which engages in a range of research activities related to matters of technology in business, with a strong focus on the disruptive nature of digital technologies.

    Digital technologies, such as smartphones, apps, social network platforms, robots, sensors, machine learning, data analytics, artificial intelligence, are fueling a wave of profound changes in most, if not all industries. Labels such as “The Future of Work”, “The Machine Age”, “The Internet of Things” point to an increasing public interest in topics of digital disruption. While the term ‘disruption’ is at risk of becoming over-used, the underlying phenomenon will only increase in significance as these technologies begin to unfold their potential. Digital disruption changes and challenges established ways of doing business, social interactions and more generally, our thinking. Unlike problem-solving type innovation, by which businesses improve their offerings incrementally during episodes of business as usual, disruptive innovation discloses new worlds of possibilities and ways of doing business. Disruptive innovation thus frequently invalidates and threatens established practices. It is these kinds of innovations that are as yet not well understood. For example, why is it that we tend to frequently miss disruptions as they unfold, with detrimental effects for incumbent businesses, but those same disruptions appear self-evident and inevitable with hindsight? And while the wide-spread adoption of digital technologies offers many opportunities to re-invent business, they also raise serious questions - regarding work organisation, work-life balance, the role of management, personal privacy, ethics, and more general questions about the future of society, in an age in which the boundaries between what is human and what is technological are being re-negotiated.

    The role reports to the Research Group Leader, Professor Kai Riemer.

    About you

    The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence. We are looking for a Postdoctoral Researcher interested in building an academic career in business-related disciplines with a strong focus on the role of technology. Ideal candidates for the position will likely have a background in one or more of the following fields:
    •              Information Systems, Organisation Studies (including HR),
    •              Communication Studies, Digital Cultures/Humanities, or
    •              Computer Supported Collaborative Work (CSWC).

    As the DDRG has a strong background in direct methods of enquiry, interpretivist and qualitative research approaches, and non-orthodox philosophy, candidates with such an orientation will benefit most from the expertise, advice and mentorship available in the group.

    The successful candidate will be expected to attend the monthly DDRG meetings, engage with academic and industry-based DDRG members on an ongoing basis, and present results and insights at DDRG events (such as the annual DISRUPT.SYDNEY conference).

    You will have a completed PhD in Information Systems, Organisation Studies (including HR), Communication Studies, Digital Cultures/Humanities, Computer Supported Collaborative Work (CSWC) or a related field.

    About the University

    Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across 9 campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 47,000 students.

    We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.

    How to apply

    Apply online here<http://sydney.nga.net.au/cp/index.cfm?event=jobs.viewJobDetailsNewApplication&AccessibilityMode=false&CurATC=EXT&CurBID=949319bc-8898-4f11-ac4b-9db401358504&jobsListKey=9b0a5d7d-3f93-40e6-9d81-2cd2facb7a25&jobid=D1F4FF00-A661-4224-A718-A71A00FE289>. Closing date: 31 March 2017.
    This position is available to commence as soon as possible, however the start date can be negotiated.

    For any questions regarding the position or the process please contact Professor Kai Riemer (kai.riemer at sydney.edu.au).

    Best regards
    Kai

    --
    KAI RIEMER | Dr. rer. pol., Dipl.-Wirt. Inform.
    Professor of Information Technology and Organisation

    THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY BUSINESS SCHOOL
    Discipline of Business Information Systems
    Rm 4179 | Abercrombie Bldg H70 | NSW | 2006 | Australia

    T +61 2 9036 9053  | Twitter @karisyd | Skype kai.riemer
    E kai.riemer at sydney.edu.au<applewebdata://614BA24E-345A-47BA-B1CD-46554E0D4C26/UrlBlockedError.aspx> | W http://sydney.edu.au/business/staff/kair<http://www.sydney.edu.au/business/staff/kair>
    In http://au.linkedin.com/in/kairiemer | B http://byresearch.wordpress.com<http://byresearch.wordpress.com/>
    Y http://www.youtube.com/user/karisyd