[AISWorld] IFIP WG8.6 Working Conference: Call for Papers

Yogesh K. Dwivedi ykdwivedi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 09:36:52 EST 2017

*IFIP WG8.6 Working C**onference: Call for Papers*

*Re-Imagining Diffusion of Information Technology and Systems:
Opportunities and Risks*
*5th June 2017: Hotel Guimaraes, Guimaraes, Portugal*

We solicit position papers for a working conference to formulate new
directions for the working group that will address emerging trends,
continuous with the original charter of diffusion of IT/IS.

*Statement of Theme:*

IFIP WG8.6 was established in the early ‘90s “to foster understanding and
improve research in practice, methods, and techniques in the transfer and
diffusion of information technology within systems that are developed, and
in the development process” http://ifipwg86.wikidot.com/about-us. A brief
history of the group can be found at http://ifipwg86.wikidot.com/history.

Since that time, the original premises of the working group--how to foster
diffusion and adoption--have been overtaken by events. Developments in
social media, mobile computing and applications, agile systems development
techniques, cloud computing and business analytics can now be said to be
viral; the cycle of innovation has sped up, platforms provide quick access
to infrastructure, and information spreads on a 24-hour cycle. These
developments, in turn, have impacted the way both organizations and
societies engage with transfer and diffusion of IT systems within and
between organizations, in interactions with customers, and in society in
general. The question is no longer how to adopt and diffuse information
technologies, but how to quickly assess and manage those that best serve
the larger purposes of businesses and societies.

At our last conference in Lungskile, Sweden in August, 2016 we discussed
the evolution of the field and whether the time was right to identify and
discuss emerging trends that WG8.6 might fold in to a new agenda, one that
is consistent with the purpose of the original statement but that is
adapted to today’s more viral diffusion environment.

We are planning a 1-day working conference to solicit position statements
from group members and the broader IS community that address our theme of
“Re-Imagining Diffusion of Information Technology and Systems:
Opportunities and Risks”.

We will start the day with a themed panel, hear position papers, and then
discuss the most viable ideas for a shift in focus for future conferences
and research directions.

*Research Questions:*

   - How do we characterize the shifts of scale and state change we have
   seen in IT/IS since the early 90s? What are the interacting variables and
   enabling forces? How do we describe the rate of change, its arc,
   affordances and constraints?
   - How do we reframe our ideas about how the (possibly different) rates
   of IT/IS diffusion impact individuals, groups, organizations and societies
   in general?
   - What core purpose of the working group transitions smoothly into a new
   direction?

*Possible Paper Topics:*

   - IS and Organizational Adaptiveness, OR IS for
   Adaptiveness/Sustainability
   - Integration of Computing and Social Systems: “Singularity”
   - Ethics and Dynamics of Viral Diffusion of Information and Technologies
   - Diffusion or Intrusion? Internet of Things, Utility and Privacy
   - Adapting Traditional Methods to Emerging Issues in IS/IT
   - Social Networks and Diffusion of Innovation and Practices
   - Information Technology and Collective Learning
   - Transformative Systems Development for Agility
   - Cloud as Diffusion Accelerator
   - IS as Continuous Disruption
   - Designing for Resilience and Adaptation
   - Effect of Big Data and Analytics on Diffusion of Innovation
   - Collective Intelligence
   - Other Topics (that might extend the original goals of WG 8.6)

*General Chairs: Deborah Bunker and Eleanor Wynn*

*Program Chairs: Dave Wastell, Yogesh Dwivedi & Amany Elbanna*

*Conference Chair: Isabel Ramos (Chair)*

*Program Committee: TBA*

*Important Dates:*

   - Paper submission deadline - 28th March, 2017;
   - Acceptance notification - 21st April, 2017;
   - Final camera-ready copy - 12th May 2017;
   - Early bird registration - until 12th May, 2017:
   - Conference dates - 5th of June, 2017.

*Submission Types: *Position Statements (only). These should be kept to 5
pages (excluding references) and be structured in the following way:

   - Introduction - which includes an identification of the issue and a
   statement of the author’s position;
   - Body of the Argument - which includes background information,
   supporting evidence or facts, a discussion of both sides of the
   issue/position; and
   - Conclusion - which includes suggested courses of action and possible
   solutions.

Reference:
http://www.xavier.edu/library/students/documents/position_paper.pdf

All submissions will be *double-blind reviewed*.

*Submission website: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ifipwg862017
<https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ifipwg862017> *

For more details of the event, including registration, please visit the
conference web-page, on which  further information will be published in due
course:http://ifipwg86.wikidot.com/upcoming-events

--
Professor Yogesh K. Dwivedi, PhD
Professor of Digital and Social Media
Email: y.k.dwivedi at swansea.ac.uk ; ykdwivedi at gmail.com
Home page:http://www.swansea.ac.uk/staff/som/academic-staff/y.k.dwivedi/
Associate Editor - Government Information Quarterly
Associate Editor for Digital Marketing Section - European Journal of
Marketing
Senior Editor (Europe/Africa/Middle East) - Journal of Electronic Commerce
Research