[AISWorld] On the relevance of Data Centers Systems and the ignored research in our discipline at present!

mmora at securenym.net mmora at securenym.net
Mon Mar 13 22:25:38 EDT 2017

Why must not research on Data Centers be ignored in our AIS group and IS
discipline?

Reason#1 Big Data/Big Analytics, Hadoop-MapReduce and similar tools,
cannot exist without Data Center Systems.

Reason#2 Data Centers downtime/disruptions cost  from thousands to million
of dollars for some critical services besides additional damages.

Reason#3 All organizational applications/services in all domains
(healthcare, education, retail, military, energy, and so on) runs on Data
Center Systems.

Reason#4 None MIS graduate program in the world is currently teaching
courses on Management and/or Engineering of Data Centers. This knowledge
is learned directly in the large IT companies.

Reason#5 We are betraying our essential IS research and ignoring a core
construct: the Data Center Systems!

In addition, "There are dramatic differences between of developing
software for millions to use as a service versus distributing software for
millions to run their PCs. First, services must be always available, so
dependability is critical. Second, services must have tremendous bandwidth
to support many users, but they must also have low latency so as not annoy
customers who can easily switch to competing services. Third, the
companies can innovate more quickly because their software is only run
inside the company. These requirements have led to distributed data
centers. They are distributed to prevent a site disaster resulting in loss
of power or networking from stopping the service, and to reduce latency to
a world-wide customer base ... “The data center is now the computer.”
Hence, computer architects are now designing and evaluating data centers"
(Patterson, 2008) (nine years ago).

Patterson, D. A. (2008). The data center is the computer. Communications
of the ACM, 51(1), 105-105.

PS In the past, top journals like MIS Quarterly published relevant
research on Data Center Systems (called EDPs). Why this #1 IS journal and
followers have missed this specific research stream?