[AISWorld] Call for Papers: HICSS-51 2018 Mini-track: Theory and Information Systems

Dirk Hovorka dirk.hovorka at sydney.edu.au
Sun Mar 19 05:55:32 EDT 2017

CfP *Minitrack*: Theory and Information Systems
*Track*: Organizational Systems and Technology track

Once again the the “Theory and Information Systems” mini-track invites submissions that investigate the implications of theory ontologies, theory integration, or meta-analytic approaches to building cumulative theory. We also welcome approaches to the contextualization of “local” theory. Research over the last decades has emphasized theory development in IS and other social and behavioral science disciplines.  The resulting proliferation of theories and constructs has numerous redundancies, which can be revealed through review, meta-analysis and interrogation of the theory discourse.   Synthesis, integration and ontologies would benefit the disciplines by identifying what we can now research given what we already know.  Theory synthesis will inform social and behavioral sciences research with a better understanding of fundamental theories, help organize our theories to be accessible research and practice, and increase our understanding of the philosophical commitments represented in their contextualization and use.

Toward these ends, topics of interest in this minitrack include:

1.    Integration or aggregation of social and behavioral science theories;

2.   The theoretical ties between different disciplines (e.g. healthcare and IS, and sustainability science and IS, energy informatics), and the trends in theories;

3.    Approaches to theory meta-analysis

4.   Research on ontologies, taxonomies, frameworks, and categorizations of constructs and variables used in system science theories;

5.  The use of natural language processing, data mining, and predictive analytics to better understand and interrogate theories;

6.   Discussion of the roles of theories used to explain, approaches used to predict (e.g. neural nets and big data), and of theories of understanding;

7.    Exploration of the dependencies of constructs and variables;

8.    Exploration of the boundaries of theory “domains.”

This minitrack also has an associated ISWorld website devoted to theories used in IS research (http://istheory.byu.edu/wiki/Main_Page) — which won the 2005 AISWorldNet Challenge Award for the best website based on AISWorldNet user voting.  We intend to uphold this high standard and advance the website further by increasing the synergy between mini-track outcomes and website content.

*Submission Deadline*:  June 15, 2017
*Conference Date*: January 3-6, 2018 | Hilton Waikoloa Village, Big Island

For further conference details, schedules and submission guidelines, please see:
http://www.hicss.org/http://www.hicss.org/

We hope to see you in Hawaii in January 2018!

Minitrack Co-Chairs:
Dirk S. Hovorka
Associate Professor
University of Sydney Business School