[AISWorld] CFP: Conference on Information Systems and Technology (CIST) 2017

Xu, Lizhen lizhen.xu at scheller.gatech.edu
Tue Apr 18 21:49:56 EDT 2017

--- Call for Papers ---

Conference on Information Systems and Technology (CIST) 2017
Hilton Americas-Houston, Houston, TX, USA
October 21-22, 2017

>From Big to Mega: Digital Innovations and their Impact on Markets and Society

The history of IT innovations shows that the magnitude of their potential impact has constantly increased over time - in some sense, one can say that IT innovations have a Moore's law of their own. Initially, IT innovations were just about improving efficiencies in existing businesses. Then, a new wave of innovations created disruption of existing businesses through entirely new IT driven business models. Think of platforms where firms provided products and services (e.g. Google and Amazon) to customers, followed by the neo-platforms where individual entrepreneurs provided the services (e.g. Uber in transportation and Airbnb in hotels etc.). Now, big data analysis and machine learning are helping businesses better understand needs of people as never before and to serve them better through new services and devices (e.g. the Courseras and Fitbits of the world). The road ahead seems to be even more exhilarating and hair-raising at the same time. For example, consider recent developments in home robotics and Elon Musk's proclamations of putting electrodes in human brain so that we could continue to be more intelligent than machines. It appears that finally we are moving to a brave new world where our friends will be machines and our thinking will be machine driven, at least to some extent.

What will be the overarching themes behind these new waves of innovation? That is hard to say, but the one thing that is clear is that current and future innovations can be expected to affect individuals, business and society more than ever before. For academics, the challenge is to develop new theories (or extend existing ones) in order to understand the interplay between business and individuals in this new milieu. Further, while new technologies are providing a wealth of opportunities, they are also exposing us to opportunism, privacy invasion, potential unemployment, and security threats.

CIST 2017 will feature research papers and keynote speakers that examine strategic, economic, and policy implications of the opportunities and threats of digital innovations of today and those that are unfolding.

We invite original research in all areas of Information Systems and related fields that seek to address issues related to the conference theme. The CIST 2017 co-chairs are Ashish Agarwal, Yan Huang, Beibei Li, Amit Mehra, Sarah Rice, and Lizhen Xu. The submission process will open on May 1st, 2017 and will close on June 12th, 2017. All submissions will be accepted electronically via the EasyChair system at https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=cist2017. Submission instructions and other conference related information will be posted on the conference website at https://sites.utexas.edu/CIST2017/.

IMPORTANT DATES:

Submissions Open: May 1, 2017
Submission Deadline: June 12, 2017
Notification of Acceptance: August 21, 2017
INFORMS Early Registration date: September 29, 2017

We look forward to receiving many outstanding submissions and putting together a high-quality program for this event. For more information, please contact the organizing committee chairs via email at 2017cist at gmail.com<mailto:2017cist at gmail.com>.

CIST 2017 Organizing Committee
Ashish, Yan, Beibei, Amit, Sarah, and Lizhen