[AISWorld] Ralph H. Sprague (1938-2017)

TP Liang is.tpliang at gmail.com
Wed May 3 11:41:20 EDT 2017

Yes, it is really sad to hear this. Ralph has contributed a lot toward the
IS/DSS community though his textbook and HICSS. His book was my bible when
I was a doctoral student. It would be worthwhile that AIS put together a
webpage to memorize key scholars in the IS community (no matter whether
they were members), like the Hall of Fame in professional games. Wish him
rest in piece!

T.P.

> For all of us involved in DSS themes, two contributions from Prof. Sprague
> framed our mindset on DSS:
>
> Sprague Jr, R. H. (1980). A framework for the development of decision
> support systems. MIS Quarterly, 4(4), 1-26.
>
> R.H. Sprague Jr., H.J. Watson (Eds.), Decision Support Systems: Putting
> Theory into Practice, 3rd ed., Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1993
>
> Our respectful wishes for that Prof. Sprague's soul rests in peace.
>
> Manuel Mora / Gloria Phillips-Wren / Fen Wang
> Researchers in DSS topics
>

> On Sat, April 29, 2017 6:26 am, Dennis, Alan R. wrote:
> > It is with profound sadness and regret that I inform you of the passing
> > of Ralph Sprague. In many ways, and to me, Ralph was a legendary
> > colleague. He was the founding chair of our department at the University
> > of Hawaii. He was a key founder of the field of Decision Support Systems.
> > He was the co-author of one of the most popular and well-respected MIS
> > textbooks for graduate students. And most of all, he was the legendary
> > HICSS conference chair and co-chair for 40 years — by far the most
> > outstanding and unbeatable record. Ralph was an academic role model for
> > me, and for many of our colleagues.
> >
> > We are preparing a short notice for the HICSS site.
> >

> > Tung

> > Tung Bui, Phd, Dr.rer.pol.
> > Matson Navigation Co. Chair of Global Business
> > Professor and Chair, Department of Information Technology Management
> > Faculty Director, Executive MBA Programs, Vietnam (Hanoi and HCMC)
> > Chair, Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences
> > (HICSS.org<http://hicss.org>)
> > Director, PRIISM Pacific Research Institute for IS Management
> > Director, APEC Study Center
> > University of Hawaii Shidler College of Business
> > 2404 Maile Way, E303
> > Honolulu HI 96822 USA
> > Tel. 1-808-956-5565
> > Fax. 1-808-956-9889