[AISWorld] Stipends available for PETS 2017

Wouter Lueks wouter.lueks at imdea.org
Tue May 16 10:00:33 EDT 2017

[Apologies to those who receive multiple copies of this message]

Stipends available
==================
17th Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium (PETS 2017)
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
July 18 -- 21, 2017
General information: https://petsymposium.org/2017/index.php
Stipends: https://www.petsymposium.org/2017/stipends.php
Application deadline: May 31, 2017
==================

The annual Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium (PETS) brings together privacy experts from around the world to present and discuss recent advances and new perspectives on research in privacy technologies. PETS 2017 will be held in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, July 18-21 2017. More info at https://petsymposium.org/2017/index.php.

Stipends
========

Thanks to the generous sponsorship of Ford Foundation and NSF, we will be able to offer stipends to some participants to help partially offset the costs of attending PETS 2017.

The deadline for applications is May 31, 2017.

Your stipend application should include the following information:

 - Name, affiliation, and contact info.
 - Whether you are a full-time student.
 - Whether you are a U.S. citizen *or* studying at a U.S. institution (this is relevant for eligibility for the NSF support).
 - How much of a stipend it would take for you to attend PETS.
   (Please don't simply add up all your costs and tell us that number — rather, think about how much you need to make this more in line with a reasonable nearby symposium, etc. The more you ask for, the less likely you are to get it. We're much more likely to cover just registration than registration+hotel+airfare.)
 - A brief (10 lines or less) description of why you deserve this money.
   (This could be papers you have written that influenced the field or were in the PETS series; other work you have done that would add value to the symposium or the field; a statement from your advisor about why we would benefit from having you here, or why you would benefit from being here; a summary of why you are excited about privacy; etc.)
 - If you are presenting at PETS and/or HotPETS, be sure to mention that too.
 - Whether there is anybody else who could possibly pay for it.
   (Stipends are not meant to replace funding from your company, university, etc. They are meant for people who have no other funding source but who would still benefit from and be useful to the symposium.)

Send your application to pets2017-stipend at petsymposium.org.

There is no guarantee that we will have enough money to fund all applicants. We plan to spend the money in a way that best advances the field of privacy enhancing technologies, through a combination of encouraging new blood as well as experienced researchers.

Applications received after May 31 will be considered on a first-come first-served basis if we have any money left over.