[AISWorld] Final Call for Papers HICSS-51 (2018) OS: Trust, Identity, and Trusted Systems in Digital Environments

Sirkka Jarvenpaa Sirkka.Jarvenpaa at mccombs.utexas.edu
Sat Jun 3 08:52:39 EDT 2017

Dear Colleague,

Call for Papers
HICSS-51 (2018): Trust, Identity, and Trusted Systems in Digital Environments

Track Organizational Systems and Technology
Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences
HICSS-51: January 3-6, 2018| Hilton Waikoloa Village

Deadline for submissions: June 15, 2017
Website: www.hicss.hawaii.edu<http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu>

How do digital advancements  change the way we trust and identity and what are consequences? What forms will trust take? What are the various risks and vulnerabilities  to trust and identity imposed by emerging algorithmic capabilities, cloud-based platforms, and highly distributed peer-to-peer systems, e.g., cryptocurrencies or other applications in the financial industry? What are the implications for trust and identity as technologies take on capabilities with both social and moral agency? Technology responds to our actions and talks back to us and is associated with provisional and consequential actions. As systems become more human like, how does our identification processes change? Is it possible that human like systems exacerbate rather than compensate weaknesses common in trust assessments  among humans. Some technologies such as driverless cars eliminate the role of driver? How do driverless car change the way we relate to cars, their manufacturers, and other institutions. Some technologies may replace the trust we now have in institutions as trust shifts from humans and central organizations to computers and anonymous decentralized organizations that know no geographic boundaries.

We welcome papers that theoretically or empirically advance our understanding of trust  and identity in organizational, inter-organizational, network, and collective contexts. Papers can use any acceptable methodology and theory. We welcome papers at any level of analysis and encourage papers that take a cross-level and/or inter-disciplinary perspective. Some possible topic areas include but are not limited to the following:

*       Understanding issues of trust, identity, risk, and reputation in the context of sharing economy and other platform-based organizations, e.g., in the platform, among the users of the platform, in the organization behind the platform, in financial and other transactions conducted through the platform.

*       Understanding the relationship between an organization's handling of its users' data, e.g., privacy/integrity, use of the cloud, and trust in the organization.

*       Understanding the relationship between trust in an organization and trust in the organization's technology-based offerings.

*       How do changes in trust influence identity and identification processes?

*       Understanding how regulation and policy at the national and international levels influence issues of trust and the penetration of technology, e.g., in the financial industry and the sharing economy, and vice versa.

*       Understanding the role of trust  and identity between users and emerging technologies, e.g., personal robots, smart toys, wearables, 3D printing, autonomous vehicles, drones.

*       Understanding the relationship between trust in the physical and trust in the virtual environment.

*       Understanding the role of trust  and identity in the development of algorithms, e.g., functions, openness of coding, data collection.

*       Understanding the activities and narratives that startup organizations in emerging high-technology industries use to build trust and legitimacy in the industry, e.g., users/consumers, incumbents, regulators.

*       Understanding the relationship between trust and business models in startups and emerging industries as well as in the commercialization of new technologies by established firms.

*       Understanding the relationship between trust and the development and dynamics of self-regulated, decentralized, peer-to-peer networks.

*       Understanding the relationships among trust, identity, technology affordances, and institutional logics.

*       Understanding the relationship between national culture and institutions and trust in technology and digital environments that know no geographic boundaries.

*       Understanding the relationship between trust, identity, control, and influence in digital environments.

Minitrack Co-Chairs:

Sirkka L. Jarvenpaa (Primary Contact), McCombs School of Business, The University of Texas at Austin, Sirkka.jarvenpaa at mccombs.utexas.edu<mailto:Sirkka.jarvenpaa at mccombs.utexas.edu>

Robin Teigland, Center for Strategy and Competitiveness, Stockholm School of Economics, robin.teigland at hhs.se<mailto:robin.teigland at hhs.se>