[AISWorld] AIS-THCI volume 9 issue 2 published

Prof. Paul Benjamin LOWRY paul.lowry.phd at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 07:56:46 EDT 2017

We are pleased to continue our 9th year at AIS Transactions on HCI (THCI)
with our second of four issues to be published this year. We present the
June issue with four high-quality papers outlined below.

You are welcome to download the papers from this issue and other issues by
visiting the AIS E-Library. You can go directly to our journal at the
following: http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/

============

In this issue (Volume 9, Issue 2)

============

Fisher, Sandra; Howardson, Garett; Wasserman, Michael E.; and Orvis, Karin
(2017) "How Do Learners Interact with E-learning? Examining Patterns of
Learner Control Behaviors," AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction
(9) 2, pp. 75-98

Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol9/iss2/1

Abstract

There has been significant debate in the literature on technology-mediated
training about the appropriate role of learner control. We define learner
control as giving trainees the ability to make choices about how they
proceed through the learning environment. We explore two perspectives.
First, we consider learners' stated preferences for the extent of control in
the learning environment. Second, we analyze the actual online learning
behaviors of 518 trainees in a Fortune 500 organization. We compare a
measure of learner control preferences to the most commonly used framework
of learner control that comprises five dimensions: pace of instruction,
sequence of topics, specific content covered, amount of advice/feedback
provided, and type of media. We also compare the dimensionality of learner
behaviors to this framework and examine the relationship between learner
preferences and learner behaviors. Results suggest that fewer dimensions can
capture both learner preferences and behaviors than what the literature
currently suggests. Specifically, media control aligned with both pace and
content control. The relationship between stated learner control preferences
and learner control behaviors was relatively weak. However, we found support
for the recently identified dimension of scheduling control and suggest a
new learner control dimension of performance control, consistent with the
importance of practice retrieval for learning.

Brooks, Stoney; Longstreet, Phil; and Califf, Christopher (2017) "Social
Media Induced Technostress and its Impact on Internet Addiction: A
Distraction-conflict Theory Perspective," AIS Transactions on Human-Computer
Interaction (9) 2, pp. 99-122

Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol9/iss2/2

Abstract

Using social media is the most common activity on the Internet, and much
research has examined the phenomenon. While the current literature focuses
on the positives of using social media, there is a comparative lack of
research on its negative effects, especially in the context of the
workplace. Research has identified one critical negative impact of
contemporary technology as technostress, which refers to stress induced by
information and communication technologies. In this paper, we apply
distraction-conflict theory (DCT) to the literature on social media,
technostress, and addiction to theorize that one can view social media in
the workplace as a distraction conflict, which, in turn, can induce
technostress and, subsequently, Internet addiction. To test this theoretical
model, we conducted a survey on 1731 participants recruited from Mechanical
Turk. The survey examined the similarities and differences between two
popular social media platforms: Facebook and YouTube. Overall, the results
provide support for positive associations between the distraction felt from
social media and social media-induced technostress and between social media-
induced technostress and Internet addiction. While Facebook and YouTube have
similarities, we found notable differences as well. This study contributes
to the IS field by using DCT as a novel and valuable lens through which
researchers and practitioners can think about the negative effects of using
social media at work. The paper also offers insight into implications for
research, practice, and future research areas.

Yang, Xue; Schiller, Shu; TEO, Hock-Hai; and Wang, Quansheng (2017)
"Decision Confidence and Purchase Intention in Software Trials: A Cognitive
Stopping Rule Perspective," AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction
(9) 2, pp. 123-148

Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol9/iss2/3

Abstract

Organizations often offer software trials to potential buyers as a form of
promotion. The trial experience provides first- hand information of the
product, which contributes to prudent purchase decisions. Despite the
popularity of software trials in consumer markets, we have yet to fully
understand how individuals formulate purchase decisions throughout the trial
process. This study proposes a novel perspective by focusing on 1) decision
confidence that individuals establish when using a software trial based on
the compatible cognitive stopping rules (CSRs) they apply and 2) the
influence of decision confidence on purchase intention. We conducted a
controlled lab experiment in which 204 participants tried an interior design
software product. We found that the participants formed their decision
confidence by applying compatible CSRs during the software trial. Decision
confidence augmented the positive influence of product satisfaction on
purchase decision. Interestingly, decision confidence attenuated the
positive relationship between a user's satisfactory trial experience and the
decision to purchase the software. We provide detailed discussions on our
findings, limitations, theoretical contributions, and implications for
practice.

Kieffer, Suzanne (2017) "ECOVAL: Ecological Validity of Cues and
Representative Design in User Experience Evaluations," AIS Transactions on
Human-Computer Interaction (9) 2, pp. 149-172

Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol9/iss2/4

Abstract

Egon Brunswik coined and defined the concepts of ecological validity and
representative design, which are both essential to achieve external
validity. However, research in HCI has inconsistently and incorrectly used
Brunswik's concept of ecological validity, which prevents the field from
developing cumulative science and from generalizing the findings of user
experience (UX) evaluations. In this paper, I present ECOVAL, a framework I
built on Brunswik's ideas. On the one hand, ECOVAL helps HCI researchers
describe and assess the ecological validity of cues in UX evaluations. On
the other hand, ECOVAL guidelines-formulated as a step-by-step
procedure-help HCI researchers achieve representative design and, therefore,
increase external validity. An industrial case study demonstrates the
relevance of ECOVAL for achieving representative design while conducting
formative UX testing. In discussing the case study, I describe how ECOVAL
can help HCI researchers assess and increase the validity of UX experiments
and generalize UX findings. I also illustrate the trade-offs between
internal and external validities and UX resources that inevitably arise when
one conducts UX experiments. From the results, I sketch avenues for future
research and discuss the related challenges that future work should address.

==================

Call for Papers

==================

THCI is one of the journals in the AIS (Association for Information Systems)
e-library at http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci. THCI is a high-quality
peer-reviewed international scholarly journal on Human-Computer Interaction.
As an AIS journal, THCI is oriented to the Information Systems community,
emphasizing applications in business, managerial, organizational, and
cultural contexts. However, it is open to all related communities that share
intellectual interests in HCI phenomena and issues. The editorial objective
is to enhance and communicate knowledge about the interplay among humans,
information, technologies, and tasks in order to guide the development and
use of human-centered Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and
services for individuals, groups, organizations, and communities.

To increase awareness and readership, THCI is still freely available to
everyone during its initial years of publishing. You can find information
related to all aspects of THCI at its website (http://aisel.aisnet.org/),
including how to submit. We would like to thank AIS
<http://home.aisnet.org/> Council for its continued support of the journal.
And, as always, we are happy to announce that we have published the journal
on time for all 31 issues, and are building a strong case for a solid impact
factor when released by SSCI in the future.

Topics of interest to THCI include but are not limited to the following:

*   The behavioral, cognitive, motivational and affective aspects of human
and technology interaction

*   User task analysis and modeling; fit between representations and task
types

*   Digital documents/genres; human information seeking and web navigation
behaviors; human information interaction; information visualization

*   Social media; social computing; virtual communities

*   Behavioral information security and information assurance; privacy and
trust in human technology interaction

*   User interface design and evaluation for various applications in
business, managerial, organizational, educational, social, cultural,
non-work, and other domains

*   Integrated and/or innovative approaches, guidelines, and standards or
metrics for human centered analysis, design, construction, evaluation, and
use of interactive devices and information systems

*   Information systems usability engineering; universal usability

*   The impact of interfaces/information technology on people's attitude,
behavior, performance, perception, and productivity

*   Implications and consequences of technological change on individuals,
groups, society, and socio-technical units

*   Software learning and training issues such as perceptual, cognitive, and
motivational aspects of learning

*   Gender and information technology

*   The elderly, the young, and special needs populations for new
applications, modalities, and multimedia interaction

*   Issues in HCI education

The language for the journal is English. The audience includes international
scholars and practitioners who conduct research on issues related to the
objectives of the journal. The publication frequency is quarterly: 4 issues
per year to be published in March, June, September, and December. The AIS
Special Interest Group on Human-Computer Interaction (SIGHCI,
http://sigs.aisnet.org/SIGHCI/) is the official sponsor of THCI.

Please visit the links above or the links from our AIS THCI page
(http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/) for details on any current or emerging
special issue calls that will be announced in the future. Please keep
checking our home page to see what is brewing! If you have an idea for a
special issue, please drop us a line any time.

Sincerely,

Dennis Galletta and Paul Benjamin Lowry, co-Editors in Chief

Gregory D. Moody, Managing Editor

---------------

Paul Benjamin LOWRY, Ph.D.;  Full Professor of
<http://www.fbe.hku.hk/academic-areas/innovation-and-information-management/
detail/paul-benjamin-lowry> Information Systems

The University of Hong Kong

Co-editor-in-Chief of  <http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/> AIS Transactions on
HCI (THCI)

Senior Editor for  <http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/> Journal of the