[AISWorld] Reminder to Join Us: AMCIS - Women's Networking Event (agenda included)

Leroy, Gondy - (gondyleroy) gondyleroy at email.arizona.edu
Fri Aug 4 14:36:41 EDT 2017

Please join us for the AMCIS - Women's Networking Event

Thursday August 10, 2017 - 7.30 - 9.00 pm

Everyone welcome! Especially colleagues who want to increase

the diversity of research teams, committees, editorial boards, ...

Pre-registration required on the AMCIS registration site

Registration fee: $10.

Agenda:

7.30 - 7.45 pm: Welcome.

7.45 - 8.15 pm: Guest presentation by Nancy Cantor. Bio below.  To make her presentation as targeted as possible, we encourage you to send us more questions on mentoring and networking (send to gondyleroy at email.arizona.edu<mailto:gondyleroy at email.arizona.edu> ). Example questions submitted are below.

8.15 - 8.35 pm: Networking and Mentoring Task. We will identify diversity gaps in different AIS areas and suggest potential solutions. We will also facilitate creation of mentor-mentee relationships.

8.35 - 9.00: Further Networking / Social.

AIS Women's Network Co-Chairs,

Gondy Leroy, University of Arizona

Dawn Owen, University of Texas at Dallas

Bio Nancy Cantor:

Nancy Cantor, principal of Cantor Consulting has been working with corporate executives and business owners to develop entrepreneurial thinking that impacts their job satisfaction and bottom-line results since 1994. As the creator and owner of the Dream Factory Community and The Entrepreneurs Connection, educational communities for women solo-entrepreneurs, and small business owners, Nancy has developed models that support small business owners in clarifying their goals and creating results. Her unique approach combines life coaching and business development, so that her clients live the life of their dreams and have businesses that support their desire to make a contribution. Her work in program development has earned Nancy many accolades. She was on a team that developed an alternative high school that became a model program in the state and is still serving students today.  She developed women focused-programs for several Chambers and was recognized as Small Business of the Year by MetroWest Chamber of Commerce in 2008.

We are grateful to our sponsors: Prospect Press (prospectpressvt.com) and the University of Memphis.

Example Questions for the speaker

Mentoring

  *   How many mentors have successful people  worked with?
  *   As a mentor, can I expect something from my mentee that is beneficial to me? For example, could I ask my mentee to review a paper occasionally? Should I formalize this?
  *   What if you don't like the progress your mentee is making and you are asked to write a recommendation letter about your mentee. Do you tell your mentee?
  *   Should a department head value mentor-mentee relationships? Should they count it as service?
  *   Are there rules for male-female mentor relationships that I should know about? Stick to?

Networking

  *   It seems people already know each other at a conference. How do I join a conversation with a group?
  *   What is a good way to get to know people? Especially people in my area who are not geographically close?