[AISWorld] Announcing Volume 9, Issue 3 of AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction

Galletta, Dennis galletta at katz.pitt.edu
Sat Sep 30 21:26:26 EDT 2017

Dear AIS Community:

We are happy to announce the third issue of the 9th volume of AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction (THCI). This issue, we have four research articles that represent the final installment for our special issue on Human Resource Information Systems and Human-Computer Interaction.

THCI is one of the journals in the AIS (Association for Information Systems) e-library at http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci. To increase awareness and readership, THCI is still freely available to everyone during its initial years of publishing. You can find information related to all aspects of THCI at its website (http://aisel.aisnet.org/), including how to submit. We would like to thank AIS <http://home.aisnet.org/> Council for its continued support of the journal. And, as always, we are happy to announce that we have published the journal on time for all 32 issues.

============

  In this issue

============

Individual Appropriation of Learning Management Systems-Antecedents and Consequences

by

Andreas Janson, Kassel University

Matthias Söllner, Kassel University

Jan Marco Leimeister, Kassel University

Abstract

IT support in the learning process constitutes a key factor for the success of innovative teaching/learning scenarios. To ensure learning success in innovative teaching/learning scenarios, learners need to faithfully apply learning management systems (LMS). However, we lack theoretical insights into which factors affect whether they do so. To help solve this issue, we first used adaptive structuration theory to identify antecedents and consequences regarding faithful LMS appropriation and embed them into a theoretical model. Second, we conducted a survey study with 173 participants to evaluate the model. The results show that the perceived IT support, interactivity, and the task-technology fit significantly affect the degree to which learners faithfully apply a LMS. Moreover, the results indicate that faithful appropriation is a significant indicator of the learning process satisfaction as well as perceived learning success. The present paper thus theoretically contributes to the scientific discussion concerning technology-mediated learning processes while also making a practical contribution by deriving implications for LMS application.

Sociomaterial Quasi-objects: From Interface to Experience

by

Lena Hylving, Viktoria Institute

Abstract

In this paper, I examine design practices by contrasting the Cartesian view of separation with an ontological perspective and argue for a dynamic, multiple, and entangled world (namely, sociomateriality). In the digital era we live in, sociomateriality helps move design practices forward in order to embrace constant changes and re- configurations. The word interface manifests a worldview of separation. Researchers typically conceive an interface as belonging to an artifact; that is, the technology, the material. More so, [people] typically considers user interfaces as the layer that separates and connects the technology and the user, which enables interaction. I recognize the limitations of the well-established perspective of interface design and contrast two traditional HCI concepts (namely, usability and context) from a Cartesian versus a sociomaterial perspective. However, to embrace and capitalize on the emergent digital reality, we need a new vocabulary. I introduce helpful concepts that one can use when designing and talking about experiences, and I ground the concepts in a sociomaterial ontological perspective. The concepts and design approach presented in this paper invite and encourage researchers to focus on experiences as sociomaterial entanglements and re-configurations and not as separated social and material entities. By using Michel Serres' (1980) term quasi-objects, I call attention to the complexity of sociomaterial entanglements that make up experiences and emphasize a holistic and inclusive design approach. In addition, introducing sociomaterial concepts, such as agential cuts and intra-actions, into the human-computer interaction domain invites researchers to think and act in new ways in the era of digitalized experiences. I examine the benefits of the sociomaterial design approach and present practical guidelines on how to approach experiential design with a sociomaterial take.

E-mentoring: A Model and Review of the Literature

by

Andrea Rae Neely, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

John Cotton, Marquette University

Anthony David Neely, Chattanooga

Abstract

With the growth of technology and greater use of virtual teams, organizations have increasingly begun to use e-mentoring for socializing, training, and developing individual employees via technology. Despite the growing importance of e-mentoring, relatively little research has examined its process or effectiveness. Therefore, we: 1) provide a framework for understanding the e-mentoring process, 2) review the e-mentoring literature, and 3) present hypotheses to generate additional research on e-mentoring. As technology develops, the use of e-mentoring and, thus, the need to better understand it will grow.

Navigating the New Workplace: Technology, Millennials, and Accelerating HR Innovation

by

Julio C. Canedo, University of Houston Downtown

George Graen, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

Miriam Grace, The Boeing Company

Richard D. Johnson, University at Albany

Abstract

This paper brings together the latest thinking in research and practice on workplace change and the information technology tools and technologies that enable, and, in some cases, drive that change. We address the shifts in global business that focus leadership on innovation, the changing demographics of employee populations, and how these changes impact talent management and emerging methods and tools that enable HR professionals to be more effective and bring new value to their business enterprises. We detail emergent scientific research on how the millennial generation has transformed the workplace. We describe effective methods, tools, and technologies from actual workplace practice to provide practical insights that one can immediately use in a human resource management context. We also present new hypotheses and recommendations for how to leverage the various change scenarios.

==================

     Call for Papers

==================

THCI is a high-quality peer-reviewed international scholarly journal on Human-Computer Interaction. As an AIS journal, THCI is oriented to the Information Systems community, emphasizing applications in business, managerial, organizational, and cultural contexts. However, it is open to all related communities that share intellectual interests in HCI phenomena and issues. The editorial objective is to enhance and communicate knowledge about the interplay among humans, information, technologies, and tasks in order to guide the development and use of human-centered Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and services for individuals, groups, organizations, and communities.

Topics of interest to THCI include but are not limited to the following:

*   The behavioral, cognitive, motivational and affective aspects of human and technology interaction

*   User task analysis and modeling; fit between representations and task types

*   Digital documents/genres; human information seeking and web navigation behaviors; human information interaction; information visualization

*   Social media; social computing; virtual communities

*   Behavioral information security and information assurance; privacy and trust in human technology interaction

*   User interface design and evaluation for various applications in business, managerial, organizational, educational, social, cultural, non-work, and other domains

*   Integrated and/or innovative approaches, guidelines, and standards or metrics for human centered analysis, design, construction, evaluation, and use of interactive devices and information systems

*   Information systems usability engineering; universal usability

*   The impact of interfaces/information technology on people's attitude, behavior, performance, perception, and productivity

*   Implications and consequences of technological change on individuals, groups, society, and socio-technical units

*   Software learning and training issues such as perceptual, cognitive, and motivational aspects of learning

*   Gender and information technology

*   The elderly, the young, and special needs populations for new applications, modalities, and multimedia interaction

*   Issues in HCI education

The language for the journal is English. The audience includes international scholars and practitioners who conduct research on issues related to the objectives of the journal. The publication frequency is quarterly: 4 issues per year to be published in March, June, September, and December. The AIS Special Interest Group on Human-Computer Interaction (SIGHCI, http://sigs.aisnet.org/SIGHCI/) is the official sponsor of THCI.

Please visit the links above or the links from our AIS THCI page (http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/) for details on any current or emerging special issue calls that will be announced in the future. Please keep checking our home page to see what is brewing! If you have an idea for a special issue, please drop us a line any time.

Sincerely,

Dennis Galletta and Paul Lowry, co-Editors in Chief

Greg Moody, Managing Editor

DG

Dennis F. Galletta                      Professor of Business Administration
University of Pittsburgh                       Ben L. Fryrear Faculty Fellow
282a Mervis Hall                         and Director, Katz Doctoral Program
Phone +1 412-648-1699                       Katz Graduate School of Business
Fax +1 412-624-3633                                    Pittsburgh, PA  15260
E-mail: galletta @ katz.pitt.edu            homepage: www.pitt.edu/~galletta<http://www.pitt.edu/~galletta>