[AISWorld] --CFP--The 5th International Conference on Writing Analytics

Moxley, Joseph mox at usf.edu
Thu Nov 2 11:17:34 EDT 2017

Could you post this on the listserv?

Joseph Moxley

Sent on the behalf of Dr. Joseph Moxley:

Dear Colleagues,

I’m writing to inform you that we are extending the deadline for submitting proposals to The 5th International Conference on Writing Analytics to November 15, 2017.

This year's conference is being held on St. Petersburg Beach, Florida, on January 11 and January 12, 2018. We are fortunate to have leading Writing Program Administrators—Chris Anson (NCSU), Scott DeWitt (OSU), Christiane Donahue (Dartmouth), Suzanne Lane (MIT), Susan Lang (OSU), and Val Ross (Penn)—talking about the role of peer review and analytics in STEM contexts. We have also invited software developers to share their tools and reflections regarding ways new tools for writers impact meaning-making, collaborating, and teaching and learning practices. Elena Cotos (Iowa State University), Otto Kruse (Zurich University of Applied Sciences), and Christian Rapp (Zurich University of Applied Sciences) will report on a research study conducted by the European Literacy Network that examines 85 tools for writers that are running as Software as a Service. We have also invited folks who are building corpora, including Ryan Boettger (UNT) and Stefanie Wulff (Florida). Alex Rudniy (NSF SBIR) and Dave Eubanks (Furman) will summarize research they have conducted on the MyReviewers corpus, discussing methods such as latent semantic analysis, natural learning processes, and predictive analytics. In addition, we have invited keynoters who collaborate with scholars in Writing Studies: Jill Burstein from Educational Testing Service, Erica Snow from Imbellus, and Phil Durrant from the University of Exeter. Our rationale for reaching outside of Writing Studies is grounded in our notion that the emerging field of Writing Analytics is invariably multidisciplinary. Experts in Natural Learning Processes like Jill, cognitive development researchers like Erica, and corpus linguistics like Phil will be able to help us see our disciplinary problems in new ways.

To tempt you even more to submit to our conference or to attend it, please take a look at Volume 1 of The Journal of Writing Analytics<https://journals.colostate.edu/analytics/issue/view/10/showToc>. There you will find research from many of last year's participants. Those attending the Conference will be able to pitch ideas to the editors and work collaboratively in order to publish in Volume 2. We have reserved time for participants to meet with Norbert Elliot (USF), the Editor-in-Chief of the journal.

Please see Tools for Writers<http://toolsforwriters.com/> for more details about the Conference (including the link to Easy Chair where you can learn more about submission guidelines).

I hope you can join us this January 11th and 12th at the Post Card Inn on St. Petersburg Beach, Florida. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Joe Moxley, joemoxley at writingcommons.org
<mailto:joemoxley at writingcommons.org>Professor of English/Director of First-Year Composition/USF

[resized image]