[AISWorld] The 2018 NSF Sponsored Conference on Practice and Science of Public Participation in STEM Research on Data Enabled Science and Engineering

Yuan Hong yhong26 at iit.edu
Thu Nov 30 17:28:18 EST 2017

The Rutgers Institute for Data Science, Learning, and Applications
(I-DSLA) is organizing an NSF-sponsored conference that fosters public
participation within the context of data enabled science and
engineering. The conference aims to bring together all of the
stakeholders in data enabled science, technology and engineering:
researchers, educators, students, and representatives from industry,
government, and non-profit organizations. The conference will serve as a
forum to enable connections and collaborations among all of these
stakeholders so that they can identify challenges in terms of research
and education, lay out a vision for the next generation of data enabled
science and technology systems, and brainstorm solutions for some of the
immediate challenges and issues.

As such, the conference will: highlight the existing research
opportunities and challenges within this scope of data enabled science
and engineering to the broader community; focus on new and emerging
applications that can benefit from data enabled science and engineering;
examine obstacles to enabling students, particularly ones from
underrepresented and minority backgrounds, to have successful careers in
data enabled science and engineering. In this context, one of our major
goals will be to identify potential solutions we can implement by
pioneering and implementing programs to make it a reality. We aim to
have a special focus on envisioning the smart city of the future, which
is one of the core priorities of the Newark city government.

Towards this, we are issuing a general call for participation, wherein
participation goes beyond academic papers, and is rather characterized
by a more open, interactive visionary forum that encourages aspirational
concepts from stakeholders, industry perspectives, and citizen
participation from within and outside of Newark. Short position papers
and visionary opinion papers that discuss novel aspects of the solution
from a technological or scientific perspective are both welcomed.
Furthermore, discussion panels focusing on some of the sticking points
that hamper progress in this area are also welcome.

Conference Structure and Format. Keynote Speakers, Panels, Position
statements, and Breakout sessions.

Fundamental Science Questions. We aim to understand the barriers to
public participation in data intensive scientific research and to
explore the mechanisms in which public participation can drive
scientific research in data science. The fundamental science questions
that we expect to have addressed include the following:

 From a science perspective:

·What are the fundamental challenges in public participation in STEM
research in general, and in particular, when dealing with a data
intensive environment?

·How can citizens participate in identifying relevant data science
problems that directly impact the local community?

·How can problem formulation and formalization be done in an iterative
interactive setting with participation from citizens, domain experts,
and academics?

·What are the cyber-physical system aspects of data enabled science,
technology and engineering in an urban environment?

·How do you enable crowdsensing to empower public participation in an
urban environment in a scalable, effective, and secure way?

·What are the citizen concerns with employing crowdsensing applications?

·How do citizens engage with local data sources, develop specific
solutions, and generalize these to solve problems beyond the local
scale; i.e., How can the citizen data scientist democratize big data?

 From an applications perspective:

·What are the key applications that can benefit from a data science
perspective, especially from an urban metropolitan environment?

·What are the unique challenges posed by applications?

·What are the constraints in terms of solution strategies?

·How well do different solution strategies fit the environment and how
can they be implemented and deployed in the community?

·What can be learned from previous successes and/or failures?

 From an education perspective:

·What are the basic skills needed by citizen data scientists to
successfully democratize big data science?

·How can we develop a self-supporting learning community for both
traditional STEM students and non-traditional STEM participants?

·How can universities provide a conduit between the public and
government/business and serve as a fertile seeding place for new
innovative solutions?

·How can we identify community opportunities for research in STEM and
connect students to these activities?

·What are the barriers to successfully transitioning STEM students from
2-year community (city/county) colleges to a traditional 4-year research
university?

Abstracts/Position Papers.
We invite abstracts and/or position papers (up to 4 pages) addressing
any or a combination of the above science questions. Authors of selected
papers will make a 15-min presentation at the conference. Papers not
selected for presentations at the conference will be considered for a
poster session.

Submission Site.
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ppsrdese18

Panels.
If you would like to propose a panel, please contact the organizers Dr.
Nabil Adam (adam at newark.rutgers.edu) and Dr. Jaideep Vaidya
(jsvaidya at business.rutgers.edu).

Important Dates.

·December 15, 2017 – Deadline for submitting abstract/position papers.

·January 10, 2018 – Author notification

·February 8-9, 2018 – Conference

Travel and Lodging Support.

Requests for travel and lodging support will be considered upon request.

Program Committee (partial, tentative)

·Nabil Adam, I-DSLA, Rutgers (Chair)

·Robert Wieder, (Co-Chair), Rutgers

·Jaideep Vaidya, (Co-Chair), Rutgers