[AISWorld] Contents of Volume 18, Issue 11 (November) Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS)

JAIS JAIS at comm.virginia.edu
Fri Dec 1 15:36:59 EST 2017

Contents of Volume 18, Issue 11 (November) Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS), Official Publication of the Association for Information Systems
Published: Monthly Electronically
ISSN: 1536-9323
Published by the Association for Information Systems, Atlanta, USA (http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/)

Editor-in-Chief:  Professor Suprateek Sarker, University of Virginia, USA

Paper

Shared Benefits and Information Privacy: What Determines Smart Meter Technology Adoption?

Merrill Warkentin, Mississippi State University
Sanjay Goel, University at Albany, SUNY
Philip Menard, University of South Alabama

Abstract

An unexplored gap in IT adoption research concerns the positive role of shared benefits even when personal information is exposed. To explore the evaluation paradigm of shared benefits versus the forfeiture of personal information, we analyze how utility consumers use smart metering technology (SMT). In this context, utility companies can monitor electricity usage and directly control consumers’ appliances to disable them during peak load conditions. Such information could reveal consumers’ habits and lifestyles and, thus, stimulating concerns about their privacy and the loss of control over their appliances. Responding to calls for theory contextualization, we assess the efficacy of applying extant adoption theories in this emergent context while adding the perspective of the psychological ownership of information. We use the factorial survey method to assess consumers’ intentions to adopt SMT in the presence of specific conditions that could reduce the degree of their privacy or their control over their appliances and electricity usage data. Our findings suggest that, although the shared benefit of avoiding disruptions in electricity supply (brownouts) is a significant factor in electricity consumers’ decisions to adopt SMT, concerns about control and information privacy are also factors. Our findings extend the previous adoption research by exploring the role of shared benefits and could provide utility companies with insights into the best ways to present SMT to alleviate consumers’ concerns and maximize its adoption.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol18/iss11/3

Paper

Understanding User Adaptation toward a New IT System in Organizations: A Social Network Perspective

Yi Wu, Tianjin University
Ben Choi, Nanyang Technological University
Xitong Guo, School of Management, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China
Klarissa Ting-Ting Chang, National University of Singapore

Abstract

Social networks can be a vital mechanism for users to adapt to changes induced by new IT systems in organizations. However, we do not adequately understand the effect of social networks on post-adoption IT use. Drawing on coping theory and the social network literature, we develop a cognitive-affective-behavioral classification of user adaptation and identify seeking-network closure and giving-network closure as key network characteristics pertinent to post-adoption IT use. Thereafter, we establish a theoretical link from seeking-network closure and giving-network closure to post-adoption IT use through the underlying mechanisms of user adaptation. We operationalize the research model using a field survey of a newly implemented electronic medical record system in a hospital in Northeast China, where we collected network data and objective system logs of 104 doctors. We found that seeking-network closure was positively associated with cognitive adaptation but negatively associated with affective adaptation and behavioral adaptation, whereas giving-network closure was negatively associated with cognitive adaptation but positively associated with affective adaptation and behavioral adaptation. Moreover, cognitive adaptation and affective adaptation were determinants of post-adoption IT use, but behavioral adaptation was not. We discuss our study’s theoretical and practical contributions

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol18/iss11/2

Paper

A Paradox of Progressive Saturation: The Changing Nature of Improvisation over Time in a Systems Development Project

Wolfgang Molnar, University of Warwick
Joe Nandhakumar, University of Warwick
Patrick Stacey, Loughborough University

Abstract

In this paper, we investigate improvisation in a systems development project in the context of safety-critical, rigid quality-management standards. This study took place in a technology company in the automotive industry over a 31-month period and focused on the development of an innovative information system for automobiles. Our analysis traced different forms of improvised practice over the course of a systems development project at the company along with various triggers of improvisation. We found that, as the project progressed, the latitude to improvise became saturated by the increasing structural influences on improvisation. Yet, paradoxically, these structural influences provoked developers to improvise in ways that were progressively more innovative by drawing on accumulated knowledge; we call this phenomenon a “paradox of progressive saturation”. We identify ten forms of improvisation that unfold across different stages of a systems development project. We offer a conceptualization of the paradox of progressive saturation to represent the changing nature of improvisation over time, which contributes to the literature on improvisation in information systems development.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol18/iss11/1

Congratulations to all of our authors!

Elizabeth White Baker, PhD
Production Managing Editor, Journal of the AIS
jais at comm.virginia.edu