[AISWorld] Announcing Volume 9, Issue 4 of AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction

Galletta, Dennis galletta at katz.pitt.edu
Mon Jan 1 17:59:03 EST 2018

Dear AIS Community:

Happy New Year! We are happy to announce the fourth issue of the 9th volume of AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction (THCI). This issue, we have four research articles. One represents an additional and final installment for our special issue on Human Resource Information Systems and Human-Computer Interaction and the others are regular submissions.

We have also introduced DOIs and we have assigned a DOI for every article since our journal's inception. In this issue we have placed the DOIs on the papers themselves and in coming weeks, we will add the DOIs to all previous papers. DOIs are significant because they uniquely identify each paper and make it easier to find original work.

To increase awareness and readership, THCI is still freely available to everyone during its initial years of publishing. With its continuing open access policy, authors can enjoy easier access to the articles and likely to have higher citation rates as a result.

THCI is one of the journals in the AIS (Association for Information Systems) e-library at http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci. You can find information related to all aspects of THCI at its website (http://aisel.aisnet.org/), including how to submit. We would like to thank AIS <http://home.aisnet.org/> Council for its continued support of the journal. And, as always, we are happy to announce that we have published the journal on time for all 36 issues.

============

 In this issue

============

Enterprise Social Media Use and Impact on Performance: The Role of Workplace Integration and Positive Emotions<http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol9/iss4/1>*

By

Murad Moqbel and Fiona Fui-Hoon Nah

* Special Issue paper on Human Resource Information Systems and Human-Computer Interaction
Organizations struggle to find ways to improve employees' performance. To date, little research has empirically examined the relationship between enterprise social media use and knowledge workers' performance. Using social capital theory and the broaden-and-build theory of positive emotions as our theoretical framework, we investigate the relationship between enterprise social media use and knowledge workers' performance. We tested our research model by collecting data from employees working for a large information technology firm in the Midwestern United States and analyzing the data using a structural equation modeling approach. The results suggest that enterprise social media use can increase workplace integration, which further enhances performance directly and indirectly through positive emotions. Enterprise social media use also has a direct relationship with performance. The paper concludes with practical and theoretical implications.

Information Technology Enabled Persuasion: An Experimental Investigation of the Role of Communication Channel, Strategy and Affect<http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol9/iss4/2>

By

Haiqing Li, Samir Chatterjee, and Ozgur Turetken

With advances in information and communication technologies (ICT), organizations of various forms now deploy an increasing number of ICT-enabled persuasive systems in several domains. Traditional computer-mediated communication (CMC) theories mainly focus on the effectiveness of media in the synchronous/asynchronous spectrum for effectively matching medium with communication task. The contemporary communication environment is rich with asynchronous channels such as email, Web, and text messaging, which makes it important to go beyond synchronicity and determine the nuances among various asynchronous channels. No rigorous research has compared the effectiveness of these channels in the persuasive systems domain where organizations use technology to persuade users to modify their behavior in a direction that they mutually agree to be desirable. In this paper, we study the effectiveness of CMC and the strategy used to frame the persuasive message. We explore persuasive strategies of praising, reminding, suggesting, and rewarding for health behavior and promotion. We model user experience as a mediator between channel strategy combinations and persuasive effectiveness. Through controlled user studies, we compared sixteen combinations of communication channel and persuasive strategy with or without emoticons. We found that channel/strategy combinations affect persuasive effectiveness (mediated by user experience) in varying degrees. Our findings contribute to the body of CMC and persuasive system knowledge and have practical implications for online advertising, health promotion, and persuasive technology design.

>From Individual Cognition to Social Ecosystem: A Structuration Model of Enterprise Systems Use<http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol9/iss4/3>

By

Alan Dennis, Paul F. Clay, and Dong-Gil Ko

In this paper, we argue that one can understand the adoption and routine use of enterprise systems by examining the fit between the system and the social structures of the organization. We develop a model of the adoption and long- term use of enterprise systems based on sociological concepts (Lord Anthony Giddens' structuration theory) rather than the usual cognitive psychology concepts. We focus on the adoption and use of three versions of an enterprise KMS to support sales representatives at a multinational pharmaceutical firm. Our first study (a five-year case study of the KMS that went through one failed deployment and two successful ones) shows that the structures of signification, legitimation, and domination all influence loyal use, although domination may be less important. Our second study (a survey of 893 users at the firm) shows that the structures of signification, legitimation, and domination explain about 50 percent of the variance in ongoing loyal use but that their relative importance depends on the job experience of the users: signification and legitimation influence novices more, and signification and domination influence experts more. We believe that this parsimonious three-factor model offers a useful approach for future research and practice.

Measuring Actual Behaviors in HCI Research - A call to Action and an Example<http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol9/iss4/4>

By

Parker A. Williams, Jeffrey Jenkins, Joseph Valacich, and Michael D. Byrd

There have been repeated calls for studies in behavioral science and human-computer interaction (HCI) research to measure participants' actual behaviors. HCI research studies often use multiple constructs as perceived measures of behavior, which are captured using participants' self-reports on surveys. Response biases, however, are a widespread threat to the validity of self-report measures. To mitigate this threat to validity, we propose that studies in HCI measure actual behaviors in appropriate contexts rather than solely perceptions. We report an example of using movements that reflect both actual behavior and behavioral changes measured within a health care IS usage context, specifically the detection and alleviation of neuromuscular degenerative disease. We propose and test a method of monitoring mouse-cursor movements to detect hand tremors in real time when individuals are using websites. Our work suggests that analyzing hand movements as an actual (rather than perceptual) measure of usage could enrich other areas of IS research (e.g., technology acceptance, efficacy, fear, etc.), in which perceptions of states and behavior are measured post hoc to the interaction and subject to the threats of various forms of response bias.

==================

     Call for Papers

==================

THCI is a high-quality peer-reviewed international scholarly journal on Human-Computer Interaction. As an AIS journal, THCI is oriented to the Information Systems community, emphasizing applications in business, managerial, organizational, and cultural contexts. However, it is open to all related communities that share intellectual interests in HCI phenomena and issues. The editorial objective is to enhance and communicate knowledge about the interplay among humans, information, technologies, and tasks in order to guide the development and use of human-centered Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and services for individuals, groups, organizations, and communities.

Topics of interest to THCI include but are not limited to the following:

*   The behavioral, cognitive, motivational and affective aspects of human and technology interaction

*   User task analysis and modeling; fit between representations and task types

*   Digital documents/genres; human information seeking and web navigation behaviors; human information interaction; information visualization

*   Social media; social computing; virtual communities

*   Behavioral information security and information assurance; privacy and trust in human technology interaction

*   User interface design and evaluation for various applications in business, managerial, organizational, educational, social, cultural, non-work, and other domains

*   Integrated and/or innovative approaches, guidelines, and standards or metrics for human centered analysis, design, construction, evaluation, and use of interactive devices and information systems

*   Information systems usability engineering; universal usability

*   The impact of interfaces/information technology on people's attitude, behavior, performance, perception, and productivity

*   Implications and consequences of technological change on individuals, groups, society, and socio-technical units

*   Software learning and training issues such as perceptual, cognitive, and motivational aspects of learning

*   Gender and information technology

*   The elderly, the young, and special needs populations for new applications, modalities, and multimedia interaction

*   Issues in HCI education

The language for the journal is English. The audience includes international scholars and practitioners who conduct research on issues related to the objectives of the journal. The publication frequency is quarterly: 4 issues per year to be published in March, June, September, and December. The AIS Special Interest Group on Human-Computer Interaction (SIGHCI, http://sigs.aisnet.org/SIGHCI/) is the official sponsor of THCI.

Please visit the links above or the links from our AIS THCI page (http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/) for details on any current or emerging special issue calls that will be announced in the future. Please keep checking our home page to see what is brewing! If you have an idea for a special issue, please drop us a line any time.

Sincerely,

Dennis Galletta and Paul Lowry, co-Editors in Chief

Greg Moody, Managing Editor

DG

Dennis F. Galletta                      Professor of Business Administration
University of Pittsburgh                       Ben L. Fryrear Faculty Fellow
282a Mervis Hall                         and Director, Katz Doctoral Program
Phone +1 412-648-1699                       Katz Graduate School of Business
Fax +1 412-624-3633                                    Pittsburgh, PA  15260
E-mail: galletta @ pitt.edu                 homepage: www.pitt.edu/~galletta<http://www.pitt.edu/~galletta>