[AISWorld] CfP: Pre-ECIS Workshop on Theories of Materiality for Technology Research

Schultze, Ulrike uschultz at mail.cox.smu.edu
Thu Feb 15 12:40:42 EST 2018

Pre-ECIS Workshop

Technology Matters and Matters of Technology: Exploring Theories of "Materiality" for Technology Research

When: June 25, 2018

What: A workshop to explore theories of matter and materiality for technology research.

Why: Provides an opportunity to explore new ideas, get feedback for ongoing research, and engage in lively and critical debate around the ‘materiality turn’ and its usefulness for studying technology-related phenomena.

In this workshop, we encourage scholars to take stock and explore different theories of materiality. Given that these theories originate from fields other than IS, they need further articulation and development if they are to support IS scholars to theorize about technologies and technology-related phenomena.

We are interested in both conceptual and empirical contributions that show how different theories of materiality may influence the way in which we understand and describe technologies and study technology-related phenomena. We also welcome studies that are critical of materiality and that show how materiality may actually become an obstacle to understanding technologies. We encourage scholars to take broadly use of philosophical and theoretical ideas on materiality and matter across disciplines.

Possible topics include but are not limited to the theoretical foundations for the materiality of:

● Wearable computing (e.g., Küchler, 2008; Sesay et al., 2016; Prasopoulou, 2017)

● Healthcare systems (e.g., Jones, 2014)

● Identity (e.g., Schultze, 2014; Nyberg, 2009)

● Information security and security technologies (e.g., Aradau, 2010; Coles-Kemp, 2010; Vuorinen & Tetri, 2012; Niemimaa & Laaksonen, 2015; Harnesk & Thapa, 2016)

● Algorithms (e.g., Scott & Orlikowski, 2015; Introna & Hayes, 2011)

● (Cyber)Space (e.g., de Vaujany & Vaast, 2014; Rodrigues et al., 2017)

● Infrastructures (e.g., Henningsson & Hanseth, 2011; Østerlie et al., 2012; Parmiggiani & Monteiro, 2015; Niemimaa, 2016)

The workshop does not publish proceedings or provide fast-track to journals. It provides a scholarly space for open discussion and debate in order to explore new and fresh ideas and to develop further more mature ideas.

We ask authors to submit their extended abstract (1500 words) or a short paper (five (5) pages) to marilmni at jyu.fi<mailto:marilmni at jyu.fi>. The workshop committee will process the submissions and select papers based on the quality and fit to workshop’s theme.

Submission Deadline: April 13, 2018

Notification to Authors: May 11, 2018

Deadline for Final Papers: June 1, 2018

For more details: (http://ecis2018.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/WS_proposal_final.pdf)

Organizers/Committee:

Marko Niemimaa (Corresponding Chair), Faculty of Information Technology, University of Jyvaskyla, Finland, marilmni at jyu,fi, +358 40 805 5186

Ulrike Schultze, Information Technology and Operations Management, Southern Methodist University, TX, US

Gijs van den Heuvel, Department of Organization Studies, Tilburg University, The Netherlands

Eija Karsten, Information Systems, Åbo Akademi, Finland

Mads Bødker, Department of Digitalization, Copenhagen Business School, Denmark

Ole Hanseth, Department for Informatics, University of Oslo, Norway