[AISWorld] Call for Papers: Media Architecture Biennale 2018

Dave Colangelo dcolang2 at pdx.edu
Tue Feb 20 14:00:43 EST 2018

*Call for Papers:Media Architecture Biennale 2018 13-16 November, 2018 @
Central Academy of Fine Arts (CAFA) and the Beijing Visual Arts Innovation
Institute (BVAII), Beijing, China The Media Architecture Biennale in 2018
will explore the role that Media Architecture plays as infrastructure well
suited to placemaking and smart city initiatives, large and small. How can
the various scales and systems that media architecture operates in be
connected to support social structures within the territory of a city? A
country? Or even a planet? How can we think critically and creatively about
the past, present, and future developments of expressive, connected, and
reactive architectural elements at both a local and global scale? Important
DatesPapersSubmission Deadline: 7 May 2018Notification: 14th June
2018Camera Ready Deadline: 14th July 2018Conference13-16 November 2018
 TopicsWe consider media architecture as an inclusive term that encompasses
encounters and intersections between digital technologies and our physical
surroundings. We invite papers that present and discuss novel contributions
to media architecture both on a practical and theoretical level and that
further our understanding of the field through case studies, design
approaches, and best practices. We expect contributions to critically
explore a wide range of topics including, but not limited to: -       How
to support the development of social structures with urban digital media-
      Social & Cultural Aspects of Media Architecture-       Participatory
Architecture & City Planning -       Spatial Locative Media -       Case
Studies of Specific Projects-       Future Trends & Prototypes -
      Media Facades & Urban Displays -       Interaction Techniques &
Interfaces-       Critical & Historical Perspectives on Media Architecture-
      Design Processes & Methods Specifically related to or framed
conceptually and theoretically with the following concepts/terms:-
      infrastructure-       smart cities-       coordinated and connected
media architecture systems across cities, countries, and the world
Submission DetailsThe conference invites research presentations from both
academia and industry:-     We invite papers with a minimum of six and a
maximum of ten pages in length, in ACM format
(https://www.acm.org/publications/proceedings-template-16dec2016
<https://www.acm.org/publications/proceedings-template-16dec2016>). -
    The papers should clearly explain the research question addressed,
research methods and tasks, findings or results, and contributions of the
work. Papers should also provide sufficient background and related work to
situate and contextualize the authors’ work within the greater body of
research. -     Submissions should consist of original work not previously
published or concurrently under consideration for any other conference,
workshop, journal, or other publication with an iSBN, iSSN or Doi number. -
    Authors must provide a 30-word contribution statement for their paper
upon submission. The contribution statement should explain the contribution
made by the paper to the Media Architecture community. -     Papers will be
peer-reviewed by multiple members of a program committee consisting of
experts in a range of disciplines that shape media architecture. Our
VisionBuilding on the successful event in Sydney 2016, Media Architecture
Biennale 2018 brings together artists, practitioners and researchers from
academia and industry who work with media, interactive technologies and the
built environment. The 2018 Biennale comprises an academic conference
track, exhibitions, and industry sessions, as well workshops. Our vision is
to provide an excellent forum for debate and knowledge exchange; to offer a
unique opportunity that brings together the best minds and organizations;
and to highlight state-of-the-art and experimental research in media
architecture. ThemeDigital Infrastructure at the Scale of the Hybrid City
Media architecture is involved in placemaking and smart city initiatives
through infrastructure large and small. While connected information
displays and mobile phones might inform citizens about energy efficiency,
for example, coordinated large-scale facades and screens can also influence
the identities of entire cities. How can the various scales that media
architecture operates in be connected to support social structures within
the territory of a city? A country? A planet?  How can we think critically
and creatively about the past, present, and future developments of
expressive, connected, and reactive architectural elements at both a local
and global scale?HostCAFA Beijing
<http://www.cafa.edu.cn/aboutcafa/lan/?c=1101> InformationTwitter
@MABiennale <https://twitter.com/mabiennale?lang=en>Web http://mab18.org/
<http://mab18.org/>Email conference at mediaarchitecture.org
<conference at mediaarchitecture.org> Proceedings of the Media Architecture
Biennale Conference
2016https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2946803&picked=prox
<https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2946803&picked=prox>PublicationAccepted
papers will be published in the ACM Digital Library. Come and Join Us!
General ChairProf Chang Zhigang - CAFA, Beijing Conference Programme
ChairsAva Fatah gen. Schieck - The Bartlett UCL, LondonDave Colangelo -
Portland State University, Portland*

--
Dave Colangelo, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor of Digital Media and Culture
School of Film
Portland State University

davecolangelo.com
publicvisualizationstudio.co