[AISWorld] CALL FOR PAPERS: Special Issue on Innovation in Supply Networks in Journal of Operations Management

Subodha Kumar tuh48280 at temple.edu
Fri Apr 13 21:36:08 EDT 2018

CALL FOR PAPERS

Special Issue on Innovation in Supply Networks in Journal of Operations
Management

Subodha Kumar, Temple University
Sriram Narayanan, Michigan State University
Fabrizio Salvador, IE Business School

Academics and practitioners are increasingly realizing that the locus of
innovation is shifting from firms to their supply networks. By supply
network, we refer to the global network of potential actors that include
firm's facilities, suppliers, customers and other eco-system partners. By
innovation, we refer to (a) development of new products and services; (b)
development of new processes to deliver products and services (including
support services); (c) development of new organization and network
structures. This special issue invites papers that focus innovations in
supply networks. The scope of questions addressed may include, but are not
limited to:

.       How does the overall product and service strategy of the firm
influences innovation distribution in a firm's supply network, and
vice-versa? For example, how does the decision to create global vs local
products, to be a leader of follower in product development, or product
architectural decisions influence distribution of innovation in the supply
network?

.       How do firms promote innovation in their supply network?
Specifically, how do firms spot, encourage, filter and refine innovations
that occur in their supply networks?

.       How do firms diffuse innovation across their supply networks? What
role does organization and network structure, formal and informal knowledge,
communication and governance mechanisms play in diffusing this innovation
within supply networks?

.       These include issues such as governance strategies and controls that
they impose on their supply chain, the structure of the organization
(vertically integrated vs specialized), and the structure and organization
of procurement organizations and their interplay with other divisions within
the firm such as marketing and R&D.

.       How do firms appropriate the value of innovations in the supply
networks? How do firms prevent intellectual property leakage and thefts? How
formal and informal contracts and social relationships among network players
support appropriation of value innovation? How do supply chain sourcing
structures influence innovation theft and consequent knowledge exchange?

.       What role do information technologies and information systems play
in promoting product and process innovations across industries?

We want to encourage submissions that address these questions from different
perspectives, including processes, systems, technology, incentives and
rewards, as well as culture. Consistent with the mission of the
inter-organization relations department, we encourage papers where the unit
of analysis is a firm, dyad, triad or a larger network. We welcome studies
that rely on archival data, large scale survey studies merged with archival
data, or grounded case-based papers that unearth new phenomena. Finally,
while innovation is an interdisciplinary topic, we encourage submissions to
be in line with JOM's emphasis on operations and supply chain management
discipline.

PROCESS

Manuscripts for the special issue on Innovation on Supply Networks should be
submitted by September 1, 2018 (midnight EST) via the Journal of Operations
Management's online submission portal
(http://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-operations-management/).
Proposals should follow the Journal of Operations Management's submission
guidelines. Manuscripts will undergo the standard double-blind review
process. If you have questions, please contact us at
<mailto:subodha.kumar at temple.edu> subodha.kumar at temple.edu;
<mailto:narayanan at broad.msu.edu> narayanan at broad.msu.edu;
<mailto:Fabrizio.Salvador at ie.edu> Fabrizio.Salvador at ie.edu

Best regards,

Subodha

Subodha Kumar, Ph.D. | Paul R. Anderson Distinguished Professor

Professor of Supply Chain, Marketing, Information Systems, and Statistical
Science

Director, Center for Data Analytics

Deputy Editor and Department Editor, Production and Operations Management
Journal

Deputy Editor-in-Chief, Management and Business Review

Associate Executive Director of POMS Information Technology Services

Vice President, INFORMS Information Systems Society

Fox School of Business, Temple University

1801 Liacouras Walk, Alter Hall 530, Philadelphia, PA 19122

Ph: 215-204-5919, Fax: 215-204-6237

subodha at temple.edu |  <https://sites.temple.edu/subodha/>
https://sites.temple.edu/subodha/