[AISWorld] Pacific Asia Journal of the Association for Information Systems Vol. 10 Issue 1

Wei-Ting Chen manager.pajais at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 04:08:00 EDT 2018

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of the Pacific Asia Journal of the Association for Information
Systems (PAJAIS), I am pleased to announce that Volume 10, Number 1, 2018
issue of PAJAIS is now available at the journal website: http://pajais.org/

PAJAIS is also available through AIS e-library:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/pajais/

*Table of Contents *

Editorial Introduction

Ting-Peng Liang

Abstract

This issue starts the tenth year of continuing publication of the Pacific
Asia Journal of the Association for Information Systems. A decade is not a
long nor a short time period. The journal started from scratch with the
goal of facilitating research in the Asia Pacific Region. After ten years’
effort, I am glad to see the journal to be recognized as a major journal in
information systems by many universities and in many countries. We intend
to continue publishing high-quality research reports and would like to
invite high-profile scholars to submit your best research outputs.

1)     A Review of Design Science Research in Information Systems: Concept,
Process, Outcome, and Evaluation

Qi Deng and Shaobo Ji

Abstract

Design science research is a research paradigm focusing on problem-solving.
It is increasingly accepted and adopted by Information Systems (IS)
researchers as a legitimate research paradigm because of its capability in
balancing research relevance and rigor. In the last fifteen years, many
design science research has been published in top IS journals and has
received a lot of attentions from IS researchers. However, current
confusion and misunderstandings of DSR’s central ideas (e.g., definition,
philosophical foundation, research outcomes, etc.) are obstructing it from
having a more striking influence on the IS field. The purpose of this paper
is to present a comprehensive and critical review of existing DSR
literature. In total, 119 papers, published in top IS journals and
conference proceedings, were included in the review. The results of this
study portray a big picture of current DSR in IS field and build a
comprehensive theoretical knowledge base in terms of DSR-related issues.
This study also identifies many research issues which can be examined by
future DSR.

knowledge, concept, process

2)     Organizational culture in Business Process Management: The challenge
of balancing disciplinary and pastoral power

Christine Beckett and Michael D. Myers

Abstract

Business Process Management (BPM) is a management technique which seeks to
constantly innovate business processes to improve customer service while
reducing costs. While much IS research has looked at the design and
implementation of BPM, including its critical success factors, methodology
and processes, until recently little IS research has looked at the broader
organizational issues associated with BPM. This paper looks at one
organizational issue in particular, that of organizational culture in BPM.
Based on an action research study of one BPM project, our findings reveal
that BPM’s current conceptualization of organizational culture is
potentially problematic. Using Foucault’s concepts of disciplinary and
pastoral power, we suggest that BPM faces a challenge in trying to balance
disciplinary and pastoral power.

research, critical research, Foucault

3)     Lean vs. Agile Supply Chain: The Effect of IT Architectures on
Supply Chain Capabilities and Performance

Waiman Cheung, Ai-Hsuan Chiang, Vallabh Sambamurthy and Pankaj Sethia

Abstract

The widespread use of information technology (IT) has changed the nature of
supply chain management. However, it is still unclear whether different IT
infrastructure design may affect supply chain capabilities and firm
performance. In this study, we investigated the impacts of a supply chain’s
IT architecture, which could be integration-based or standardization-based,
on supply chain capabilities and firm performance. We also examined the
effects of lean and agile supply chain strategies. We tested our research
model against data collected from 162 companies, 97 based in China and 65
in Taiwan. Our findings indicate that firms with different supply chain
strategies focus on different aspects of IT architectures. In addition,
supply chain capability is an enabler to enhance supply chain performance
through well-suited supply chain IT.

standardization, lean strategy, supply chain capabilities

4)     Antecedents of Business Intelligence Implementation for Addressing
Organizational Agility in Small Business Context

Md Shaheb Ali, Shah J Miah and Shahadat Khan

Abstract

Research on business intelligence (BI) has been rapidly proliferated in the
field of information systems (IS). However, a limited number of studies has
discovered its practical value and impact in business sectors. A lack of
research on BI implementation specifically within small businesses may have
an adverse impact on the effective decision making, especially to meet the
demand of their organizational agility.

The aim of this study is to conduct a theoretical analysis to identify
antecedents of BI implementation in the small business context for
improving the decision-making capability towards organizational agility. We
operate a literature survey within the IS research domain to reveal the
insights about the relation between BI and organizational agility. In this
regard, 75 key articles have been reviewed and analyzed to find
contributions towards BI and its impact on organizational agility. It is
anticipated that the important antecedents are organizational,
technological and personnel capabilities for BI implementation. The
findings provide valuable insights for further research on BI
implementation, especially to address organizational agility in small
businesses.

management, business intelligence, factors of BI implementation

Best Regards,

Dr. Ting-Peng Liang, Editor in Chief,

Pacific Asia Journal of the Association for Information Systems

Information Systems Department

College of Business Administration

Electronic Commerce Research Center
National Sun Yat-sen University