[AISWorld] Collaborative Innovation Networks Conference (COINs) 2018: CfP - DEADLINE EXTENSION

Matthäus Zylka matthaeus.zylka at uni-bamberg.de
Wed May 16 10:50:28 EDT 2018

***Apologies for cross-posting***

Dear IS Community,

the COINs Conference committee 2018 has been busy making exciting plans
for our time in Jiaxing, China. Although we have already received some
excellent submissions for this year’s conference, we have also received
several requests for an extension. We are pleased to announce that we
will continue accepting paper submissions through May 29, 2018.

Please see the Call for Papers below:

COINs 2018 - CALL FOR PAPERS - http://jiaxing18.coinsconference.org

We invite your participation in exploring "building a shared future
through Collaborative Innovation Networks (COINs)". COINs are virtual
teams of intrinsically motivated innovators that get together over the
Internet to create something radically new. At this year’s conference we
focus our attention on health and happiness, future technologies in
business, social innovation and entrepreneurship, and education in a
city where the founders of today’s China started their journey seventy
years ago as a COIN on a red boat. Papers, abstracts and workshop
proposals will be accepted for four tracks:

1.  Health and Happiness

2.  Emerging technologies

3.  Social innovation and entrepreneurship

4.  Education

We also welcome other papers in the broad area of Collaborative
Innovation Networks and future technologies, such as methodological
approaches, design and COINs, and leadership and COINs.

In today's unpredictable world, innovation and rapid adaptation of
emerging technologies is becoming a key imperative. "Collaborative
Innovation Networks (COINs)" - as self-organizing emergent social
systems - are primary building blocks of innovation for coping with
external change. As small cyberteams of intrinsically motivated
individuals, COIN members get together to innovate in domains they are
passionate about and to respond to
unexpected events and opportunities.

Innovation through COINs is particularly important in "health and
happiness". For example, COINs of patients, family members, doctors, and
researchers are formed to develop together new, innovative ways of
dealing with chronic
diseases and improving patient and caregiver quality of life. Measuring
human dynamics and interaction will lead to interventions for a
healthier and happier life. Another area in healthcare where COINs build
a better life is reducing infant mortality by forming COINs of mothers,
social workers, doctors, and policy makers, to provide mothers with the
support necessary to give their newborns a better future than they had
themselves.
In internal healthcare processes, COINs act as an enabler for process
change, and represent a novel approach to Human Resource Management,
using information more effectively, through critical evaluation, and
creatively seeking solutions.

A second area for COINs to improve our world is in "emerging and future
technologies", where COINs can strengthen adaptability and
transformability to leverage novel ideas as a competitive advantage.
Inside large corporations COINs can form spontaneously and with minimal
management intervention to creatively react to new opportunities and
external threats. COINs might appear in well-established firms as a
bottom-up response to find new applications for emerging technologies,
thus flexibly adapting to change and anticipating competitors’ next
moves. COINs also will be
tremendously useful to startups, offering new self-organizing forms of
leadership, where all stakeholders, including founders, early employees,
customers, suppliers and business partners, collaborate to develop new and
innovative products, services, and business models for an ever-changing
environment.

Creativity through COINs is also necessary in "social innovation and
entrepreneurship" for sustainability. COINs can help align practice with
policy and provide leadership in seeking funding from diverse sources.
In urban areas, social innovation through COINs has turned crisis into
opportunity, as the city has become a source of inspiration and
solutions for innovative new models of urban governance.

Creating COINs of students in an "educational setting" will teach them
latest advances in artificial intelligence, deep learning and predictive
analytics, where self-organizing student teams might collaborate over
long-distance to solve complex problems. Students might also engage in
rotating leadership behaviors inside the classroom which often leads to
improved learning outcomes. Similarly, COINs of faculty and researchers
re-shape the higher education environment by re-imagining the future of
collaborations across departments and institutions.

FORMAT AND JOURNAL PUBLICATION OPPORTUNITY

We invite papers in three formats:

Full papers: max 14 pages describing completed research results or case
studies.
Research-in-progress papers: max 6 pages describing late breaking
results and emerging topics
Extended abstracts: 400 words about research in progress (will only be
published on conference Web site).
Workshops: You are invited to submit proposals for two-hour interactive
workshops, to engage participants in active hands-on experience.

Accepted papers will be invited to be published by Springer in an edited
volume in the series “Studies on Entrepreneurship, Structural Change and
Industrial Dynamics” (www.springer.com/series/15330).

Papers will undergo a double blind peer review process.

Papers should be submitted in .doc or .pdf format at a maximal length of
14 pages (incl. references). All full papers must be formatted according
to the Springer template
(https://resource-cms.springernature.com/springer-cms/rest/v1/content/3318/data/v2).
A list of key style points on manuscript structure, figure resolution,
and reference style can be found here:
http://resource-cms.springernature.com/springer-cms/rest/v1/content/3322/data/v6.

Submit your papers at: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=coins18

IMPORTANT DATES

Submission Deadline: May 29, 2018
Notification of accepted papers: June 15, 2018
Final papers due for online conference proceedings: July 30, 2018

CONFERENCE CHAIRS
Yang Song, Jilin University, China
Francesca Grippa, Northeastern University, USA
Qi Wen, Tsinghua University, China
Matthäus P. Zylka, University of Bamberg, Germany

--
Matthäus P. Zylka
PhD Candidate, Department of Information Systems and Social Networks