[AISWorld] Postdoc position with expertise in Structural Equation Modeling at Ryerson University Social Media Lab (Toronto, Canada)

Anatoliy Gruzd agruzd at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 05:41:54 EDT 2018

The* Social Media Lab <http://socialmedialab.ca/>* at *Ryerson University
<http://www.ryerson.ca/>* *Ted Rogers School of **Management*
<http://www.ryerson.ca/tedrogersschool/>  in Toronto, Canada is seeking a
highly motivated and creative Postdoctoral Researcher with expertise in
Structural Equation Modeling.

The broad aim of this position is to engage in innovative research
on social media and user privacy. Applicants must have a demonstrable
expertise in applications of Structural Equation Modeling and other
statistical approaches to analyze survey data. Knowledge of privacy-related
research is an asset. In addition, applicants must also have strong
research writing and communication skills and a passion for data analysis
(both qualitative and quantitative).

The position will be for a period between September 1, 2018 – August 31,
2019. The salary is $45k CAD per annum plus a comprehensive benefits package
<http://www.ryerson.ca/hr/employee-resources/post-doc-fellows/benefits/>.

The successful candidate will be a member of and work with an
interdisciplinary team of researchers at Ryerson University’s Social Media
Lab, headed by Co-directors Dr. Anatoliy Gruzd, Canada Research Chair and
Associate Professor at the Ted Rogers School of Management and Philip Mai,
Director of Business and Communications.  The researcher is expected to be
located in Toronto, Canada.

*RESPONSIBILITIES:*

The postdoctoral fellow will be expected to collaborate actively with all
team members and contribute to the intellectual life of the lab. These
responsibilities include but are not limited to:

   - Contributing substantially to research projects and publications of
   the lab,
   - Performing statistical analysis of various datasets,
   - Communicating regularly with the project team,
   - Actively participating in the knowledge management and translation of
   the lab research via conferences, the lab’s website and via our various
   social media channels.

*QUALIFICATIONS:*

   - A doctorate in one of the following areas: Management, Information
   Studies, Communication, or a related field is required
   - Hands-on experience with statistical methods and packages
   - Working knowledge of various statistical methods to analyze survey
   data such as structural equation modeling, regression analysis, factor
   analysis, etc.
   - Excellent English writing skills is critically important

*DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:*

   - Strong publication record in field of expertise

*To apply to this opportunity, the applicant must:*

   - have earned a first doctorate from an accredited university *no
   earlier* than September 2015 (date all degree requirements were
   completed, not the date of graduation), or have completed a first
doctorate *no
   earlier* than September 2012, but have since had their career
   interrupted or delayed for the purpose of maternity, illness, or
   health-related family responsibilities;
   - *not* hold a tenure or tenure-track faculty position;

*TO APPLY:*

   - Candidates should submit the following materials electronically to Dr.
   Anatoliy Gruzd at *work at socialmedialab.ca <work at socialmedialab.ca>*

*Please email one PDF file that includes* the following:

   1. Cover Letter that describes your relevant background and skills,
   range of interests and career goals
   2. Academic CV
   3. The name and contact information for three research references (one
   reference should be your doctoral advisor); Reference letters will only be
   solicited from the short-listed candidates
   4. Publication/writing sample

*DEADLINE:*

   - Review of applications will begin on* August 6, 2018* and continue
   until the position is filled.

*INSTITUTIONAL BACKGROUND*:

Located at the heart of downtown Toronto, the largest and most culturally
diverse city in Canada, the *Social Media Lab* <http://socialmedialab.ca/> is
an internationally engaged multi- and interdisciplinary research laboratory
at the *Ted Rogers School of Management*
<http://www.ryerson.ca/tedrogersschool/> at *Ryerson University*
<http://www.ryerson.ca/>. The lab studies how social media is changing the
ways in which people and organizations communicate, disseminate
information, conduct business and form communities online, and how these
changes impact society. Our expertise lies in studying online communities
and social networks, and developing new methods for analyzing and
visualizing social media data. The broad aim of our research is to provide
insight into the behaviors and relationships of online network members, and
to understand how these interpersonal connections influence our personal
choices and actions.

*Ryerson University* <http://www.ryerson.ca/> (with 38,000 undergraduate
and 2,500 graduate students) is located in the heart of one of the world’s
most culturally and linguistically diverse urban centres. Research at
Ryerson is on a trajectory of success and growth, as evidenced by
externally funded research doubling in the past four years. Longstanding
partnerships with community, industry, government, and professional
practice drive research and innovation that responds to real-world
problems. The University’s academic plan, Our Time to Lead, can be found at
https://www.ryerson.ca/provost/academic-plan/.

Ryerson University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our
community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further
diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including,
but not limited to, women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons
with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender
identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply
but applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given
priority.