[AISWorld] Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Information Systems, Information School, University of Sheffield

Pamela Y Abbott p.y.abbott at sheffield.ac.uk
Wed Jul 25 04:21:17 EDT 2018

 This position can be found at the following URL:
https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/BLD888/lecturer-senior-lecturer-
in-information-systems/ or the University of Sheffield's job vacancies site:
 https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/jobs with Job Ref code: UOS019660.

*LECTURER/SENIOR LECTURER IN INFORMATION SYSTEMS, INFORMATION SCHOOL,
UNIVERSITY OF SHEFFIELD*

We are seeking to recruit a Lecturer / Senior Lecturer in Information
Systems to enhance and expand our excellent research and teaching in this
area of information science. The successful applicant will make a strong
contribution to the further development of our research activities, to the
delivery of our postgraduate MSc/MA programmes and to the supervision and
development of research students in cognate areas.

You will have a PhD (or equivalent) in a relevant field, an established /
developing research profile, a proven teaching ability, a strong commitment
to interdisciplinary collaboration, and will make a key contribution to
advancing the School’s leading position in the field. You will contribute
to the relevant research groups within the School, and collaborate with
colleagues in other research groups and networks across the School, the
Faculty of Social Sciences and the University.

*JOB DESCRIPTION*

We seek applications from ambitious, highly motivated and talented
individuals who will be keen to play an active role in maintaining and
enhancing the School’s national and international reputation for research,
teaching excellence and innovation. The appointee will have a strong
commitment to both research and teaching, and to interdisciplinary
collaboration, and will make a key contribution to advancing the School’s
competitive position. They will also contribute to our postgraduate
programmes, via both on-campus and distance learning delivery.

We welcome applications from high-quality candidates with research
expertise that will complement and strengthen our existing research profile
in Information Systems. The successful applicant will make a major
contribution to the management and delivery of our Information Systems and
Information Systems Management programmes, with the capacity to take the
lead on programme coordination, and module co-ordination and development.

The Information systems field has strong interdisciplinary links with
management, economics, sociology, psychology, computer science and more
recently development studies. Our school recognizes the influence of these
cognate areas on a well-rounded IS programme; therefore, we especially
welcome applications from candidates with expertise in one or more of:

   - Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) and Development
   including (but not limited to): the study of ICT use, design and/or
   development in socially deprived contexts such as developing countries,
   emerging economies or economically depressed sub-regions; or

   - Technological Innovation including (but not limited to): smart
   technologies to support, for example, smart cities, healthcare; Internet of
   Things (IoT) applications; distributed information systems; corporate cloud
   computing; Information Infrastructures and as-a-service platforms; or

   - Socio-economic challenges in Information Systems research including
   (but not limited to): digital economy; information privacy and security;
   sustainable IS development, Green IT/IS; or

   - Application of Information Systems to Business Solutions including
   (but not limited to): business intelligence and analytics; business and
   enterprise modelling; information architecture and systems integration
   design and configuration.

Possible application areas for this research may include development
informatics, innovation studies, organisation studies, sustainable
societies, health and well-being, social media and digital platforms and
infrastructure development. We welcome applications from ambitious, highly
motivated and talented individuals with research expertise that will
complement and strengthen our existing research profile, and who will be
keen to play an active role in enhancing the School’s national and
international reputation for research and teaching excellence and
innovation.

Applicants should make clear how their research will contribute to the
School’s research environment and how they can contribute to the School’s
teaching portfolio.

Reminder - please make it clear on your application whether you are
applying for the post at Lecturer or Senior Lecturer level.

Further information about the School and its activities can be found on its
web pages at www.sheffield.ac.uk/is.

The University's expectations of the qualities and responsibilities of its
academic staff are captured by the concept of the Sheffield Academic
www.sheffield.ac.uk/hr/sheffieldacademic/statement.html. The role of the
Sheffield Academic is underpinned by a number of core values and qualities
that are essential to the scholarly pursuit and communication of knowledge
in this University and to the University’s Mission, Vision and Identity
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/ourplan/what-we-stand-for/mission-vision-identity.
Among them is the recognition that the pursuit of research excellence and
the pursuit of teaching excellence are closely linked.

Regards

Pamela Abbott
Senior Lecturer in Information Systems
Programme Coordinator, MSc in Information Systems
Head of the Information Systems Research Group
Information School | The University of Sheffield
Regent Court | 211 Portobello | Sheffield | S1 4DP | UK

Email: p.y.abbott at sheffield.ac.uk