[AISWorld] Developing and teaching a Graduate IS Capstone course online

Jeet Gupta guptaj at uah.edu
Wed Sep 5 12:33:21 EDT 2018

Colleagues:

I am in the process of developing an online (asynchronous at present)
capstone course (to be taught in Spring 2019) for our Master’s program in
Information Systems with emphasis on Information Systems Strategy.  I have
never developed or taught this course online before.  Therefore, I seek
your advice and suggestions.  Specifically, I would like to hear:

1.      Your experience in teaching such a course online.

2.      Please share your course syllabus with me.

3.      What works and what does not work for teaching such a course online.

4.      Do’s and don’ts of this course.

5.      Suggested course material for such a course.

6.      Suggested cases and projects for such a course.

7.      Ways to handle group projects for this course.

8.      Ways to be effective in discussing cases in online format.

9.      Any other advice suggestions you can offer.

I will summarize and post the answers I receive for this request.

Thank you in advance for your contributions.

Best regards,

Jatinder (Jeet) N. D. Gupta, PhD, CFPIM

Immediate Past President, Decision Sciences Institute

Director, Integrated Enterprise Lab

Eminent Scholar and Professor
College of Business
The University of Alabama in Huntsville