[AISWorld] University of Maryland iSchool Faculty Position (Open Rank) -- Socio-technical Cybersecurity

Brian Butler bsbutler at umd.edu
Tue Dec 4 11:18:11 EST 2018

The UMD College of Information Studies is seeking candidates for an open
rank tenure-track position (Assistant, Associate or Full Professor who are
interested in studying and teaching socio-technical aspects of
cybersecurity.  The formal announcement/description is included below.  For
more information or to apply see: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/65528

Brian B.
-----

*University of Maryland College of Information Studies*
Open Rank Tenure / Tenure-Track Faculty (Assistant, Associate, or Full
Professor)

Best Consideration Date: 1/4/2019
To Apply: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/65528

A socio-technical approach to cybersecurity recognizes that to protect our
information and critical infrastructure we must consider human, social,
organizational, economic, institutional, and technical factors, as well as
the complex interactions among them.  Creating, maintaining, operating
infrastructural systems that are resilient in the face of threats that
include malicious attacks, random vandalism, natural disasters, and
information warfare necessarily requires fundamental advances in our
understanding of the socio-technical aspects of cybersecurity.

The College of Information Studies at the University of Maryland, College
Park (Maryland’s iSchool), invites applications for a tenure-track
Assistant Professor or tenured Associate Professor or Professor position in
socio-technical aspects of cybersecurity.  The successful candidate will
engage in an active program of high-impact research; provide research
advising to students at all levels; develop courses and teach in the
College’s undergraduate, graduate, and non-degree programs; and engage in
service to the profession and shared governance within the university.

The successful candidate will have a strong interest in research and
teaching related to socio-technical aspects of cybersecurity.  Within this
broad domain are a wide range of specific topics, methodological
approaches, theoretical perspectives, and disciplines.  We welcome
applications from scholars interested in any socio-technical aspect of
cybersecurity who are working with research grounded in theory, rooted in
empirical methods, and producing broadly applicable and transferable
results that augment policy, knowledge, and practice.

We seek exceptional candidates with high quality research and publication
records in interdisciplinary fields that include or blend social and
behavioral sciences, economics, science and technology studies, law,
computer science, informatics, information systems, and/or computer
science.  A Ph.D. or equivalent degree is required at the time of
appointment.

*Campus/College Information*
Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park is the flagship
institution in the University System of Maryland. Our 1,250-acre campus is
just minutes away from Washington, D.C.  This unique proximity to business
and technology leaders, federal departments and agencies, nongovernmental
organizations, and a myriad of research entities is simply unparalleled.
Synergistic opportunities for our faculty and students abound in the
nation’s capital and surrounding areas. The University is committed to
attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that
will enhance our stature of preeminence in our three missions of teaching,
scholarship, and full engagement in our community, the state of Maryland,
and the world.

The university’s College of Information Studies is one of the largest and
fastest growing Information Schools in the world, with a highly dynamic
undergraduate program, recognized excellence in three Masters programs (in
Information Management, Information Human-Computer Interaction, and Library
and Information Science), and a large and diverse doctoral program.
Faculty in the College conduct research on a broad range of important
questions at the intersection of people, information and technology,
including, for example, policy and ethics, information retrieval and
information seeking behavior, social network analysis, cybersecurity,
design science, and archives and records management.

The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative
action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and
regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The
University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons
and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status,
age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital
status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of
rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment,
educational programs and activities, and admissions.

Required Documents:
● Cover Letter
● Curriculum Vitae
● Research Statement
● Teaching Statement
● List of References (3)

Brian S. Butler, Ph.D.
Professor and Senior Associate Dean, UMD iSchool
University of Maryland
College Park, MD  USA