[AISWorld] Call for Paper - Social Media, Psychology and Innovation

Osden Jokonya jokonyao at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 20 10:33:18 EST 2018

AMCIS Cancun Mexico 2019 – GENERAL THEME: Digital Bridging: The Americas’ New Frontier

AIS SIG-PHIL (Philosophical Approaches to Information Systems) invites you to submit your research on Social Media, Psychology and Innovation to AMCIS 2019.

Track

Philosophical Approaches to Information Systems

Minitrack Title

Social Media, Psychology and Innovation

Minitrack Chairs

Osden Jokonya, Professor, University of the Western Cape

ojokonya at uwc.ac.za<mailto:ojokonya at uwc.ac.za>

Flávia Maria Santoro, Professor, Federal University of the State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, flavia.santoro at uniriotec.br<mailto:flavia.santoro at uniriotec.br>

Track Description

This mini-track intends to be a forum for philosophical, psychological or sociological approaches to the study of tradition and innovation in social media. More and more people engage in diverse Social Media. Our lives seem to be permeated (or even shaped) for actions and information we share in those virtual environments. In this context, many questions still arise and are in the focus for research in the Information Systems field. Do we always play a role in social media? Or is there a possibility of being authentic? While the quest of identity building seems to be so important on social media, aren’t the phenomena of embodiment and entanglement an evidence of a risk of identity lost? Is the ‘dictature of the they’ also a risk on social media through conformism? How do we establish and manage new relationships within Social Media? Is reputation relevant? How about “truth” and “fake”? On the organizational viewpoint, if building a ‘social capital’ is a key to success, how to combine it with information retention that remains a source of power? How do these questions help to renew the relationship between structure and agency in sociology? How such a relationship helps to understand the identity building? How can we preserve privacy? Is this a real issue? Or should we re-define the notion of privacy/public?

Topics related to (but not exclusively) the following topics are welcomed: identity, roles, subjectivity, inter-subjectivity, privacy, reputation, truth/fake, embodiment, entanglement, power, social capital, and authenticity.

* January 7, 2019: Manuscript submissions begins

* March 1, 2019: Manuscript Submissions loses

Read more about types of submissions, important dates and instructions at

https://amcis2019.aisconferences.org/submissions/track-descriptions/#toggle-id-23