[AISWorld] Call for Minitrack Proposals: AMCIS 2020: Meta-Research Track

Michael Cuellar mcuellar at georgiasouthern.edu
Sun Sep 29 20:36:59 EDT 2019

We invite submission of mini track proposals for the Meta-Research Track for AMCIS 2020.

TRACK DESCRIPTION
Following on the success of this track in 2018, this track serves as the primary point of contribution and subsequent publication of innovative meta-research articles. Meta-research (research on research) is a venerable and valuable research stream within Information Systems. Meta-research is the discussion that goes on between IS scholars on issues surrounding the production of IS research.  It includes such areas as discussions of the structure and development of the field, the core and boundaries of the field, field legitimacy, scholar/department/journal/ country ranking methods, discussions of research culture and practices, methods of evaluation of scholarship, literature reviews and research commentaries.
The purpose of the track includes showcasing unique and leading edge empirical, theoretical, and commentary papers in the area of meta-research. Typically, there has not been a good location for these types of papers within the structure of the usual tracks provided.  This track provides a welcoming space for such papers.

1: General Topics in IS Meta-Research - This mini-track will serve as a place where authors can submit their work that may not precisely fit into other meta-research mini-tracks.

2: A Meta-Researched Vision for the Future - This is our conference theme minitrack. In this minitrack, we want to solicit papers that review and assess the literature in an area and advocate for a disruptive transformation to the current path of IS Research and present a vision for a future state.

3: Evaluation of Scholarship - This mini-track might cover papers that provide data and methodologies for evaluating scholarship in support of the promotion and tenure (P&T) process. These would include scholar/department/journal/country ranking papers (Lowry, Romans, & Curtis, 2004; Rainer Jr. & Miller, 2005) and methodological papers on how to evaluate scholars for P&T (Baskerville, 2008; Cuellar, Takeda, Vidgen, & Truex III, 2016; Dennis, Valacich, Fuller, & Schneider, 2006; Lewis, Templeton, & Luo, 2007; Templeton, Lewis, & Luo, 2007)
4: IS Theory Development/Novel Theories - As the Information Systems (IS) discipline as an applied discipline drawing from fields as diverse as engineering, computer science, psychology, sociology and management has historically brought new and novel theories and metatheories into the field from those various disciplines. Understanding how those theories and metatheories have been utilized in which particular areas of the IS field is an important meta-research exercise.

With these novel theories being introduced into Information Systems, it is important to recognize that we need to properly appropriate them into the field. We must first use them appropriately as developed by the source field and then expand and enhance those theories and meta-theories to account for information systems phenomena (Holmström and Truex 2011).

Minitrack 5: Research Commentaries/Literature Reviews in IS - This has historically been our most popular track. With all the knowledge that is being created in the IS field, there is a need to synthesize and organize the existing research in IS. Literature reviews play the important role of getting a snap-shot look at what we know, how we know it, and who made the contributions. Literature also play the important role of providing a basis from where we can start and identify areas of research that are in need of our researchers’ attention.

Minitrack 6: Research Methods (Methodological Guidelines/Methodological Improvements) - Papers that provide instruction on how to perform research

*Minitrack chairs will be responsible for:

*a) Promoting their minitrack to generate manuscript submissions to AMCIS 2020;

b) Soliciting and assigning reviewers for manuscripts submitted to the minitrack; and

c) Making recommendations to Track co-chairs about each manuscripts submitted to the minitrack.

*To submit a minitrack proposal, you must submit: *

a) Minitrack co-chairs (names, emails, affiliations);

b) Minitrack Title;

c) A short description of minitrack for the AMCIS 2020 website (up to 150 words);

d) A call for papers for your minitrack.

To submit a minitrack proposal, visit:

https://new.precisionconference.com/ais and follow the submission guidelines.

*Important Dates:

*September 19, 2019: PCS opens for Minitrack submissions

October 18, 2019: Minitrack submissions are due (PCS will close).

October 24, 2019: Track chairs make recommendations on mini-tracks

October 29, 2019: Mini-track decisions announced

January 2020: System opens for general paper submissions

March 26 2020: Reviews due

April 7 2020: Mini-track chair recommendations are due

Track Co-Chairs:
Michael Cuellar,

Georgia Southern University,

mcuellar at georgiasouthern.edu <mailto:mcuellar at georgiasouthern.edu>