[AISWorld] Managing Your PhD Student Career: How to Prepare for the Job Market

Firth, David (Dr) David.Firth at mso.umt.edu
Mon Dec 2 13:11:03 EST 2019

Hi all,

With ICIS 2019 coming up very soon, many of you will be preparing for job interviews.

I want to remind you of our very popular, and reportedly very useful CAIS paper "Managing Your PhD Student Career: How to Prepare for the Job Market".   From the abstract:  "This article targets PhD students, and their advisors who want to better understand the new faculty hiring process. We provide an extensive description of where, when, how, and how not to engage the marketplace when looking for a new faculty position."

The paper can be found in our AIS eLibrary at https://aisel.aisnet.org/cais/vol34/iss1/5/

The paper speaks to general issues to consider around preparing for the job market, as well as specific issues related to the three most common market options:  more teaching oriented school, highly research oriented school, somewhere-in-the-middle school.  The three authors are each from these schools:  David Firth is at the University of Montana, a more teaching oriented school, Jason Thatcher is now at Alabama but was at Clemson and is from a highly research-oriented school, and Matt Germonprez of the University of Nebraska at Omaha is from a research-focused teaching-is-very-important school.

Cheers,
David

[COB Logo]

Dr. David R. Firth (Chartered Accountant, England)
Professor of Management Information Systems
ATG Missoula Faculty Fellow
College of Business
University of Montana
Missoula, MT 59812