[AISWorld] PhD Research Fellowship in Digital Global Public Goods

Petter Nielsen pnielsen at ifi.uio.no
Wed Dec 18 12:42:36 EST 2019

A PhD research fellowship in digital global public goods for health and development is available in the Information Systems group at the Department of Informatics and the University of Oslo.
The fellowship period is three years devoted to researcher education. Based on qualification and interest, we will consider offering the candidate a fourth year consisting of teaching duties.

** Deadline for applications: 19th January 2020

:: About the position
Within a changing global landscape, governments and policymakers promote digital global public goods as one of the vital building blocks to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. Still, our understanding of the nature of these goods is limited. This project will include empirical investigations of digital global public goods, the development of design and information systems theory and taxonomies, and engagement with key stakeholders in the global public health domain.

The candidate will be a part of the Health Information Systems Programme (HISP), and the empirical investigation takes as the outset the DHIS2 software used for health in developing countries. We expect the candidate to take an active part in the DHIS2 design lab and related research, design and development activities.

:: Qualification requirements
The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences has a strategic ambition of being a leading research faculty. Candidates for these fellowships will be selected in accordance with this, and expected to be in the upper segment of their class with respect to academic credentials. We require:

- Master's degree in information systems. Candidates with a relevant Master in public health, global health or equivalent may also be considered.
- Experience with empirical research.
- Interest in scientific research and motivation to contribute in a global research and innovation community and contribute to development.
- Personal drive and social skills.
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English. We will give priority to candidates fluent in a Scandinavian language, but this is not a requirement.

:: We offer
The Information Systems group is a thriving research and innovation environment. We are a leading ICT for Development research group, and we are the host of the DHIS2 software development. We are also the WHO Collaborating Centre for Innovation and Implementation Research for Health Information Systems Strengthening. We have strong ties to international partners in public health in developing countries, including universities, ministries of health, policymakers, donors and NGOs. Together, we offer the candidate an excellent environment to study digital global public goods as well as having an impact on their development and implementation.

- Salary NOK 479 600 - 523 200 per annum depending on qualifications and seniority as PhD Research Fellow (position code 1017)
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement
- Vibrant international academic environment
- Oslo's family-friendly surroundings with their rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo's family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities

:: How to apply
We will consider applications that include:

- Cover letter explaining your fit for the position.
- A brief (1-2 pages) statement of motivation and research interests related to this position.
- CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work - scientific publications).
- Copies of educational certificates, transcripts of records and letters of recommendation.
- Documentation of English proficiency.
- List of reference persons: 2-3 references (name, relation to you, e-mail and phone number).
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system. Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University's grading system. Please note that all documents should be in English (or a Scandinavian language).
Applicants will be called in for an interview.

:: More about the position: https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/180174/phd-research-fellowship-in-digital-global-public-goods

:: Application portal: https://www.jobbnorge.no/jobseeker/#/application/apply/180174

:: More about our research groups: http://www.hisp.uio.no

:: More about DHIS2: http://dhis2.org