[AISWorld] Announcing the publication of volume 11 issue 4 of AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction (THCI)

Nah, Fiona nahf at mst.edu
Tue Dec 31 10:25:16 EST 2019

Announcing the Publication of
Volume 11 Issue 4 of AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction (THCI)
(http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/)

Happy New Year to everyone as we completed the last issue of the 11th year of THCI!

The December 2019 issue of THCI is a special issue that reflects the emerging views of the scholars and industry experts in a user experience (UX) innovation ecosystem. The special issue is co-edited by Soussan Djamasbi and Diane Strong of Worcester Polytechnic Institute, and fast-tracked from the 2019 UX Symposium (https://uxsym.org), which is an annual conference dedicated to advancing UX theory, education, and practice among its community of scholars and practitioners. The special issue comprises one editorial and five papers, with the first paper co-authored by Soussan Djamasbi and Diane Strong, and the remaining four papers authored by industry experts. This special issue is in line with AIS SIGHCI's mission to promote HCI/UX research not only among AIS members, but also to the larger community of practitioners and academic scholars, as well as to foster greater academic-industry partnership.

You are welcome to freely download the papers from this issue and other issues by visiting the AIS E-Library (http://aisel.aisnet.org/) or the direct links below. You can also go directly to the journal at http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/. Note that THCI continues to be an open-access journal for the time being - thanks to the generosity of AIS and its publications committee.

===========================

In this issue (Volume 11, Issue 4)

===========================

Editorial (Paper 1):

Djamasbi, S., & Strong, D. M. (2019). User experience driven innovation - theory and practice: Introduction to special issue. AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction, 11(4), pp. 208-214. DOI: 10.17705/1thci.00120

Available at: https://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol11/iss4/1/

Abstract:

This special issue is motivated by the need for user experience (UX) innovation ecosystems and the difficulty of creating and maintaining them. The papers in this special issue reflect the emerging views of the scholars and industry experts involved in one such UX innovation ecosystem. Authors presented the papers at the 2019 UX Symposium (https://uxsym.org/), an annual conference with the mission to continue to build its vibrant community of scholars and practitioners dedicated to advancing UX theory, education, and practice.

Paper 2:

Djamasbi, S., & Strong, D. M. (2019). User experience-driven innovation in smart and connected worlds. AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction, 11(4), pp. 215-231. DOI: 10.17705/1thci.00121

Available at: https://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol11/iss4/2/

Abstract:

In our fast-paced digital economy, expectations for improved user experiences (UX) increasingly drive innovation. Thus, companies must fully grasp users' points of view when they design innovative technologies that can successfully compete in a crowded global market. These technologies must not only satisfy users' expectations but also empower them and improve their quality of life. To address this challenge in our rapidly evolving and globally expanding digital economy, we need new theories and models for technology design-ones that incorporate UX. In this paper, we address this need by developing conceptual models for UX-driven innovation. We explain how these models can enable innovative, responsive technologies that meet users' needs in real time. These models also facilitate the production of new theories that are discovered via accessing the rich, real-time data sets that our increasingly smart and connected worlds create.

Paper 3:

Stanton, D., & Smith, C. (2019). Experience-driven engineering in IoT: The importance of user experience for developing connected products people love. AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction, 11(4), pp. 232-243. DOI: 10.17705/1thci.00122

Available at: https://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol11/iss4/3/

Abstract:

In this paper, we describe the factors we have seen as influential in building contemporary tools specifically through the lens of connected devices and experiences. The Internet of things (IoT) provides a radically improved way to see how our tools/devices actually perform in the field and if customers use, abuse, or do not understand them. The complexity associated with designing a connected product or experience often causes its architect to focus almost exclusively on the enabling technology itself as opposed to the actual design and end user experience-the value or utility-that they create it for. We walk through fundamental design principles. This paper provides principles, frameworks, recommendations, and resources to ensure human-centered and user experience-led design for the IoT.

Paper 4:

Wyatt, J., & Piggott, A. (2019). The design of not-so-everyday things: Designing for emerging experiences. AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction, 11(4), pp. 244-252. DOI: 10.17705/1thci.00123

Available at: https://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol11/iss4/4/

Abstract:

In this paper, we explore how emerging technologies and experiences challenge previous theories and practices to grow and adopt and, thus, address new and unique challenges, such as designing across macro-level ecosystems, new devices, and interaction models that enable user control of data in an increasingly complex digital world. We discuss these topics with respect to real and future examples, the unique challenges they present, and how academia and industry must collaborate to adapt current frameworks and develop new methods to address these challenges. This partnership will ensure both parties better understand the problem space for designing emerging experiences in today's digital economy. Further, this partnership enables scholars and practitioners to more effectively explore the solution space for designing novel products and developing advanced theories that help craft meaningful user experiences. Finally, we argue that the partnership between academia and industry can develop future talent and upskill current practitioners, which is paramount in successfully meeting the challenges inherent in the design of emerging technologies.

Paper 5:

Rochford, J. (2019). Accessibility and IoT / Smart and Connected Communities. AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction, 11(4), pp. 253-263. DOI: 10.17705/1thci.00124

Available at: https://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol11/iss4/5/

Abstract:

The Internet of things (IoT) has unlimited potential to empower the lives of everyone. IoT devices increasingly appear in homes and power smart and connected communities. Related user experience design efforts must involve and consider people with disabilities, including the world's rapidly aging population of seniors. They must be able to use IoT device and app interfaces. While secure and private IoT device data collection and communication are important for everyone, related needs that are unique to people with disabilities must be addressed. Many current resources and developing efforts that can benefit UX designers to address these needs exist.

Paper 6:

Bajracharya, A., Reader, K., & Erban, S. (2019). User experience, IoMT, and healthcare. AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction, 11(4), pp. 264-273. DOI: 10.17705/1thci.00125

Available at: https://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol11/iss4/6/

Abstract:

In this paper, we discuss current trends in how health professionals and patients are using wearables, connected devices, and software tools to deliver care and health monitoring purposes. We emphasize the importance of considering users' experience through understanding user workflows, their needs, and their limitations when creating connected health ecosystems (CHES). We discuss both the patient and the provider as "users" in the ecosystem. We note both barriers to using the Internet of medical things (IoMT) to create CHES and efforts to overcome them. The increasing penetration of the Internet and the availability of connected health devices along with changes in reimbursement policies provide an environment for CHES to grow.

============

Call for Papers

============

THCI is one of the journals in the AIS (Association for Information Systems) e-library at http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci. THCI is a high-quality peer-reviewed international scholarly journal on Human-Computer Interaction. As an AIS journal, THCI is oriented to the Information Systems community, emphasizing HCI/UX applications in business, managerial, organizational, and cultural contexts. However, it is open to all related communities that share intellectual interests in HCI phenomena and issues. The editorial objective is to enhance and communicate knowledge about the interplay among humans, information, technologies, and tasks in order to guide the development and use of human-centered Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and services for individuals, groups, organizations, and communities.

To increase awareness and readership, THCI is still freely available to the public, which is beneficial to the authors and the community. You can find information related to all aspects of THCI at its website (http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci), including how to submit manuscripts for publication consideration. We would like to thank the AIS Council (http://aisnet.org/) for its continued support of the journal. And, as always, we are happy to announce that we have published the journal on time for every issue, and are building a strong case for a solid impact factor when released by SSCI and Scopus in the near future. The quality of THCI is affirmed by its inclusion as an "A" journal in the Australian Business Deans Council (ABDC) journal quality list.

Topics of interest to THCI include but are not limited to the following:

*   Behavioral, cognitive, motivational and affective aspects of human and technology interaction

*   User task analysis and modeling; fit between representations and task types

*   Digital documents/genres; human information seeking and web navigation behaviors; human information interaction; information visualization

*   Social media; social computing; virtual communities

*   Behavioral information security and information assurance; privacy and trust in human technology interaction

*   User interface design and evaluation for various applications in business, managerial, organizational, educational, social, cultural, non-work, and other domains

*   Integrated and/or innovative approaches, guidelines, and standards or metrics for human centered analysis, design, construction, evaluation, and use of interactive devices and information systems

*   Information systems usability engineering; universal usability

*   Impact of interfaces/information technology on people's attitude, behavior, performance, perception, and productivity

*   Implications and consequences of technological change on individuals, groups, society, and socio-technical units

*   Software learning and training issues such as perceptual, cognitive, and motivational aspects of learning

*   Gender and information technology

*   The elderly, the young, and special needs populations for new applications, modalities, and multimedia interaction

*   Issues in HCI education

The language for the journal is English. The audience includes international scholars and practitioners who conduct research on issues related to the objectives of the journal. The publication frequency is quarterly: 4 issues per year to be published in March, June, September, and December. The AIS Special Interest Group on Human-Computer Interaction (SIGHCI, http://sighci.org/) is the official sponsor of THCI.

Please visit the links above or the links from our AIS THCI home page (http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/) for details on special issue calls.

Note the call for papers for a special issue of THCI on AI Fairness, Trust and Ethics (https://bit.ly/2JcrDT7 or http://sighci.org/uploads/AIS_THCI_AI_Special_Issue.pdf) that is co-edited by Lionel Robert, Gaurav Bansal, Nigel Melville, and Tom Stafford. This special issue covers the core of many of the issues underlying the implications of AI, and calls for research that can unpack the potential, challenges, impacts, and theoretical implications of AI. We welcome research from different perspectives that offer novel theoretical implications on AI fairness, trust, and ethics in organizations and our broader society.

Please continue to check the AIS THCI home page (http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/) to see what is brewing! If you have an idea for a special issue, please drop us a line any time.

Sincerely,

Fiona Fui-Hoon Nah, Editor-in-Chief

Gregory D. Moody, Managing Editor

Fiona Fui-Hoon Nah, Ph.D.

Editor-in-chief, AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction

Professor of Business & Information Technology

Missouri University of Science and Technology

101 Fulton Hall

301 W 14th Street

Rolla, MO 65409

Tel: 573-341-6996