[AISWorld] Invitation: Minnesota Friday IS Workshop via Zoom

Ravi Bapna rbapna at umn.edu
Thu Apr 9 16:54:47 EDT 2020

Dear Friends,

We are opening up our 43 year long Friday IS research workshop series to
the broader WISE, WITS, SCECR and IS community via Zoom. Please join us
if you can using the password below.

Date: 4/10/2020 (that is tomorrow)
Time: 12:15 pm to 1:30 pm Central Time

*Speaker: Prof. Alok Gupta*

*Will Humans-in-the-Loop Become Borgs? Merits and Pitfalls of Working with
AI*
By Andreas Fügener, Jörn Grahl, Alok Gupta and Wolf Ketter

Join Zoom Meeting
https://umn.zoom.us/j/358628823?pwd=alZxenN4aXZRbkJ6QUkwK0xpMDNGUT09

Meeting ID: 358 628 823
*Password: 061627  (this is necessary)*

ABSTRACT
We study how the use of AI influences complementarities between humans and
AI, and how these complementarities change the wisdom of crowds. Based on
Polanyi’s Paradox – humans perform non-routine tasks without being able to
explain their decision rules – we theorize that systematic
complementarities between humans and AI exist, and that they govern the
success of human-AI collaborations. Providing AI decision support to humans
should enable humans to exceed human and AI performance levels. However, by
converging towards AI suggestions, humans may lose their complementarities
– a key source of performance enhancements in group settings. Through a set
of experiments, we demonstrate that humans do exploit complementarities and
even outperform a state-of-the-art AI. We confirm that AI decision support
reduces complementarities between humans and AI, and among humans using the
same AI. Simulating the wisdom of the crowd using the experimental results
demonstrates the downside of providing AI support: At a certain scale,
groups of humans working with AI are far less effective than pure human
groups. Overall, our results suggest that while individual humans are
inferior to those using AI, as a group, they are much more effective
without the AI decision support.
--
Ravi Bapna
Curtis L. Carlson Chair Professor in Business Analytics and Information