[AISWorld] MIR Labs - Free to Join - International Webinar Series - August 13 Speakers

Ajith Abraham ajith.abraham at ieee.org
Wed Aug 12 23:07:24 EDT 2020

Dear Colleague,

Many thanks for supporting the International Webinar Series. Please
read the following instructions carefully for the smooth operations of
the daily technical program. Please join Webex using the link below.

Meeting link: https://mir.webex.com/mir/j.php?MTID=mb0466bdf41308437a2fc3dbe9c1db8fa
Meeting number: 170 116 6041
Password: pdJpwYNh322

As we are following GMT, first, please check the time zones in your
country and make sure you follow the timings correctly.

1. Please make sure that you have the adequate browser / plugins etc.
to run Webex. It is better to use your laptop / desktop computer and
mute your mobile phones during the webinar.

2. Please assemble not earlier than 10 minutes and try to assemble on
time. On August 13, we have the following two speakers:

Speaker I
Prof. Dr. KC Santosh, University of South Dakota, USA (August 13,
13:00- 14:00 GMT)

Title: Man or Machine: AI for Pulmonary Abnormality Screening (#TB and #COVID19)

Abstract: For any computer vision problem, conventionally speaking,
machine learning algorithms are limited to lowering down the learning
error-rates. However, if we consider healthcare projects, it is wise
to follow and/or replicate expert-based procedure; but procedural
solution is out of fashion. In this talk, we will be having multiple
projects on lung abnormality screening using image data (chest X-ray).
Considering two different cases, TB and COVID-19, we will be
discussing on a) do medical imaging scientists care clinical
implications?; b) is it required to replicate the experts’ procedures
to make decisions? If not, can we be that much ignorant?; c) how big
data is big for computer scientists?; and d) when can we deploy
imaging tools for cross-population tests?

Biography: Dr. Santosh is the Chair and Associate Professor of the
Department of Computer Science (CS) at the University of South Dakota
(USD). Before that, for 3 years (till 2020), he was the Graduate
Program Director of the Department of Computer Science (CS), USD. Dr.
Santosh served School of Computing and IT, Taylor's University as a
Visiting Associate Professor, for one year (2019/2020). Before joining
USD, Dr. Santosh worked as a research fellow at the U.S. National
Library of Medicine (NLM), National Institutes of Health (NIH). He
worked as a postdoctoral research scientist at the LORIA research
centre, Universite de Lorraine in direct collaboration with industrial
partner ITESOFT, France. He also served as a research scientist at the
INRIA Nancy Grand Est research centre, France, where he has received
his PhD diploma in Computer Science. Before that, he worked as a
graduate research scholar at the SIIT, Thammasat University, Thailand.
Dr. Santosh has published more than 62 peer-reviewed research
articles, 95 conference proceedings, and 7 book chapters. He has
authored 4 books, and edited 5 books, 14 journal issues, and 6
conference proceedings. He is currently Editor-In-Chief of IJSIP and
an Associate Editor for several journals, such as International
Journal of Machine Learning & Cybernetics, Springer Nature and IEEE
Access. He has also chaired more than 10 international conference
events. His research projects have been funded by multiple agencies,
including the SDCRGP, Department of Education (DOE), and the National
Science Foundation (NSF). Dr. Santosh is the proud recipient of the
Presidents Research Excellence Award (USD, 2019) and an award from the
Department of Health & Human Services (2014).

-----------------------------------

Speaker II

Prof. Dr. Vladik Kreinovich, University of Texas at El Paso, USA
August 13, 14:00 15:00 GMT

Title: Deep Learning (Partly) Demystified

Abstract: Successes of deep learning are partly due to appropriate
selection of activation function, pooling functions, etc. Most of
these choices have been made based on empirical comparison and
heuristic ideas. In this paper, we show that many of these choices --
and the surprising success of deep learning in the first place -- can
be explained by reasonably simple and natural mathematics.

Biography: Vladik Kreinovich is Professor of Computer Science at the
University of Texas at El Paso. His main interests are the
representation and processing of uncertainty, especially interval
computations and intelligent control.  He has published nine books, 31
edited books, and more than 1,600 papers.

Vladik is Vice President of the International Fuzzy Systems
Association (IFSA), Vice President of the European Society for Fuzzy
Logic and Technology (EUSFLAT), Fellow of International Fuzzy Systems
Association (IFSA), Fellow of Mexican Society for Artificial
Intelligence (SMIA), Fellow of the Russian Association for Fuzzy
Systems and Soft Computing. He is Treasurer of IEEE Systems, Man, and
Cybernetics Society.

3. Attendee interaction during the session: As we are dealing with
nearly 1000 participants, it is important that all attendees mute the
microphone soon after joining  the session. Please don't flood the
chat windows with greetings and thank you messages. There will be a Q
and A session soon after every talk. Attendees may place their
questions (only very important and that might be also useful for the
whole audience) in the chat window and the moderator will select only
a few of them (depending on the time availability).

4. We will distribute participation certificates for each

session during the following day. Participation certificates will be

shared on a drive. Each attendee will have to complete an online form

within 12 hours after the completion of the session. Please take

adequate time to provide your personal details / information as

further correction requests will not be entertained. Please note that

the feedback form will be given in the Webex chat window soon after

every session. So it is mandatory to stay until the end of the session

and also complete all sections in the feedback form to receive the

certificate. You may discard filling the feedback form, if you don't

need the participation certification.

As our resources are limited, we kindly request your understanding and

support as we might not be able to serve any individual queries

related to the webinars. Thank you all and we look forward to seeing

you during the Webinars.

Please stay safe and healthy!

Yours sincerely,

Prof. (Dr.) Ajith Abraham
Director - Machine Intelligence Research Labs (MIR Labs)
Scientific Network for Innovation and Research Excellence
11, 3rd Street NW
P.O. Box 2259
Auburn, Washington 98071, USA
http://www.mirlabs.org
Email: ajith.abraham at ieee.org
Tel:   +1(253) 2453001 / +1(646) 8016894

Personal WWW: http://www.softcomputing.net
ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-0169-6738
SCOPUS: https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=7202760099
Publons: https://publons.com/researcher/2897631/ajith-abraham/