[AISWorld] PhD Position in Virtual Reality / Augmented Reality @ HEC Montréal

constantinos-k coursaris constantinos.coursaris at hec.ca
Mon Oct 26 13:11:48 EDT 2020

PhD Position in Virtual Reality / Augmented Reality @ HEC Montréal
The Tech3Lab (https://tech3lab.hec.ca/en/) and the Department of Information Technologies (https://www.hec.ca/en/it/index.html) at HEC Montréal (https://www.hec.ca/) are inviting applications for a funded Ph.D. position in Information Technologies (I.T.). with a research focus on user experience in Virtual Reality / Augmented Reality (VR/AR) settings in various areas, ranging from commercial and entertainment to education and healthcare applications.
By joining our team, you will be working in a highly collaborative and stimulating environment, strengthened by team-driven activities, where knowledge-sharing and joint problem solving are the norm. Our state-of-the-art User Experience (UX) lab will provide you with the opportunity to engage in rigorous studies exploring innovative ideas.
We are looking for a colleague holding at least a master’s degree (or equivalent) in computer science, human-computer interaction, information systems, data sciences, neuroscience, or a related field. Prior experience in VR/AR, computer graphics, computer vision, and/or machine learning is desirable. Experience with eye-tracking, brain-computer interfaces, and other neurophysiological methods is a plus.
To succeed in our environment, you will need to be fluent in French and/or English, be able to effectively present working results to an international community, possess strong communication and organization skills, and be able to perform both independently and within teams.
HEC Montréal offers a competitive funding package consisting of:
- 25 000$ per year
- Funding to participate in scientific activities
- Tuition fee waiver over a 4-year-period
We have one admission period yearly. The next application deadline is January 1, 2021 for the fall 2021 admission, and details on the application process are available on http://bit.ly/phdhecvr or https://www.hec.ca/en/programs/phd/phd-information-technology/index.html.
HEC Montréal's PhD program is offered in partnership McGill University and Concordia University, and one of the city’s French-speaking universities, Université du Québec à Montréal (UQÀM). As a result, PhD courses are offered in both English and French, but you can complete all your courses and your dissertation in English, if you wish. We invite you to watch our webinars <https://futur.hec.ca/PHD-WEBINAIRES> (https://futur.hec.ca/PHD-WEBINAIRES) to learn more about the Tech3Lab and the Department of Information Technologies (both webinars are available in English and in French).
About Tech3Lab:
HEC Montréal’s Tech3Lab is the largest research laboratory in the field of user experience (UX) in North America. Tech3Lab engage in collaborative research with important industry partners such as Deloitte, Videotron, Sobeys, JDA Software, Desjardins, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and D-Box. Financed by FQRSC, SSHRC, NSERC and CIHR, researchers at Tech3Lab leverage methods and tools from disciplines such as neurosciences and artificial intelligence in order to further understand the role of emotion and cognition in the field of user experience (UX). Tech3Lab specializes in UX between organisations and their customers and employees.
About HEC Montréal:
Canada’s oldest business school and one of the first in North America, HEC Montréal has consistently been recognized as a premier institution, including in the recent rankings as a Top 100 Worldwide Business School Based on Research Contributions by the University of Texas-Dallas, as Tier I in the Global MBA Rankings by CEO Magazine, among others (https://www.hec.ca/en/about/rankings/rankings.html). The university is situated in the heart of Montréal, a very welcoming university city that ranks as the second-largest university city in North America, which offers a safe and vibrant community with affordable cost of living.
Questions regarding this opportunity may be directed to Dr. Constantinos K. Coursaris (coursaris at hec.ca<mailto:coursaris at hec.ca> – email subject: "PhD position").

Cordially / Cordialement,
Constantinos

Dr. Constantinos K. Coursaris
Ph.D. Business Administration (Information Systems)
M.B.A. e-Business, B. Eng. Aerospace

Associate Professor - Department of Information Technologies
Principal Collaborator - NSERC-Prompt Industrial Research Chair in User Experience (UX)
Principal Researcher - Tech3Lab
HEC Montréal

Chair, SIG Human-Computer Interaction
Assistant VP, Research Resources, Association for Information Systems

Office #307 - Tech3Lab
3000, chemin de la Côte‑Sainte‑Catherine
Montréal (Québec) Canada H3T 2A7
Tel. 514-340-6902
https://tech3lab.hec.ca
http://www.Coursaris.com
http://www.twitter.com/DrCoursaris
http://www.linkedin.com/in/Coursaris

"The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet" - Aristotle