[AISWorld] Opportunity for PhD in Information Systems at Questrom School of Business, Boston University

Nachiketa Sahoo nsahoo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 19:24:37 EST 2020

Opportunity: The Information Systems (IS) department at Boston University’s
Questrom School of Business invites applications for its PhD program from
motivated and intellectually curious candidates. Applicants should have a
prior degree in Computer Science, Economics, Business, Engineering, or
other relevant  technical degree. Relevant Work experience in research
functions is desirable.

Questrom provides PhD students with a generous stipend and tuition support
for five years. Additional funding is also available to support research
and conference travel.

Faculty: Our world class faculty conduct interdisciplinary research at the
intersection of IS and Economics and Machine Learning. Our award winning
work is taught in other schools globally and adopted by firms
internationally. We have global experts in platform economics, online
reputation systems, online social media, and healthcare management. We
organize the leading conference on Platform Strategy research
<http://questromworld.bu.edu/platformstrategy>. Committed to research
excellence, our department also features a vibrant seminar series,
featuring leading international scholars from related fields. These
seminars create great collaboration opportunities for our faculty and
students.

Student Research and Accomplishments: PhD students from our department have
done outstanding research in online users’ decision journey, the effect of
social context on user engagement, and bias in online media. They have
joined tenure track professorial positions at top research Universities
worldwide (University of Minnesota, Hongkong University of Science and
Technology, McGill University). They have won best paper awards at flagship
conferences and workshops, including Conference in Information Systems and
Technology (CIST) and Workshop on Information Technologies and Systems
(WITS). And their research has appeared in top journals such as Management
Science, Information Systems Research, and MIS Quarterly.

Research Opportunities: Our faculty research interest and expertise include
(but are not limited to)

   -

   Artificial Intelligence
   -

   Computational social science
   -

   Corporate social responsibility
   -

   Effects of IT on labor and productivity
   -

   Fair allocation
   -

   Fintech
   -

   Healthcare information systems
   -

   Machine learning

   -

   Market and mechanism design
   -

   Network effects
   -

   Platforms and ecosystems
   -

   Preference learning and recommender systems
   -

   Reputation systems and online reviews
   -

   Social networks

Boston: The unparalleled intellectual environment in the broader Boston
area allows students to take classes from and collaborate with faculty from
many other local universities such as Harvard, MIT, Northeastern, and
Boston College, in addition to the leading scholars at Boston University.
To that end, the department offers PhD students the flexibility to tailor
their curriculum to their research goals. Additionally, the rich and
culturally diverse environment of the Boston area offers unparalleled
quality of life for a PhD student.

Diversity: The Information Systems department firmly believes in the
cultural and social diversity of our students, faculty and staff and
promotes that belief in developing future scholars. Diversity, Equity and
Inclusion are vitally important to the distinction and excellence of our
research and academic programs.  We are especially eager for doctoral
students from under-represented groups to join us in support of our
institutional commitment to ensuring Boston University is inclusive,
equitable, and diverse -- it’s a place where all constituents can thrive.

Application: You can find more information on the Boston University
Information Systems department at the department website
<https://www.bu.edu/questrom/faculty-research/academic-departments/information-systems/>
and at the faculty pages
<https://www.bu.edu/questrom/faculty-research/academic-departments/information-systems/our-faculty-phds/>.
Details about the phd program and the application process for the Questrom
School of Business are available on the program website
<https://www.bu.edu/questrom/degree-programs/phd-program/>. The application
deadline for Fall 2020 admission is Jan 6, 2021. Feel free to direct any
questions about the PhD program in Information Systems to Nachiketa Sahoo (
nachi at bu.edu).